O/T Flat tow/wagon attachment.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: O/T Flat tow/wagon attachment.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Scott Hawthorne, Nv. on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 08:21 pm:

I have this gadget on one of my rigs. Has anyone seen one like it? Who made it. It is an aftermarket attachment and is not home made. I have never seen another.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 08:42 pm:

James,

I don't recall seeing that specific one before. But several companies produced a tongue similar to that. It could be attached to several of the car chassis of the day and would allow you to turn the car chassis into a four wheel wagon frame. They would fit the Ford chassis 1906-1931 4 cylinder cars. Many of them can also be used as a tow bar. But a much simpler tow bar that does not attach to the tie rod worked great on my 1928-31 Model As. But I suspect their primary use was to take a car chassis that was not economically practical to repair (old and the engine was blown etc.) and remove the body, add a wagon body and now you have a usable 4 wheel trailer.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 08:51 pm:

See the four similar ones at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/221303.html?1309660443

Another one near the bottom of the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/342317.html?1361046531

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/127440.html?1267185153

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/526603.html?1427636488

etc.

Respectfully added,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 09:50 pm:

I have something similar, but different, on an axle I plan to use in the future. It consists of a couple of specially shaped clamps that bind the tie rod to the wishbone. When clamped down tight, the tie rod cannot move so the axle is fixed and ready for trailer use. Unfortunately I can't post pictures right now, but when I drag it out for a rebuild I'll get photos then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Scott Hawthorne, Nv. on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 09:56 pm:

Mine came under a Model A frame with a saw mill on it. Had a LeRoy Flathead four for power and was a interesting rig. Quite dangerous though. Most of it is wall art now. The motor went to a fire house down in the LA area. I just bought it for the pristine A frame.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 01:51 am:

Almost all frames I've been subject to up here have been trailers!
James, that's a neat one!
Nice to see this subject come up again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Spyker on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 02:49 am:

Yours is a 4 wheel wagon conversion as the tongue steers the front wheels. There were several commercial kits but many were black smith specials.
Trailers or carts were single axle conversions either using the front axle with the steering fixed for straight ahead or the rear axle sometimes using the torque tube as a tongue.
During 2000-2010 I had a collection of ads for 38 from eBay.
The Model T running gear makes a short and small wagon for a gentleman's farm stead. Most trailers were usually shortened to an existing pick up bed length.
Pushtruck from 30 miles south of Hershey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 10:29 am:

James I see a '60-'61 Falcon fender in there. Are you a fan? I owned a '60 Tudor many years ago. ('66,67,68,69.)Nothing on the car would last over 15,000 miles at a time.lol I learned clutches, brakes, transmission repair and engine overhaul on that little Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Scott Hawthorne, Nv. on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 12:14 am:

That dosent belong to me. A friend has it and is restoring a 70's gasser. Blown ford motor, straight axle. Very competitive back in the day.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration