Dixie- Wide track Front axle opinion needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Dixie- Wide track Front axle opinion needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Nave on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 11:44 pm:

I have been looking for a Wide track axle for some time.
A bare axle has been offered to me for $400 unshipped.
I have no base to compare to determine a true value. no others have been offered to me.

Please comment on that price honestly or tell me what you have seen them sell for.

P.S. My interest is to keep it stock and not modify it in any way.
Thanks Russ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 02:07 am:

It looks as though YOU may wind up being the base. It's a matter of supply and demand, and a supply of one doesn't give a lot of wiggle room. Suppose it sells to another hunter tomorrow? Would you think DARN I should have grabbed it! If so...grab it. If not, keep looking. If the axle is nice, no pretzel tendencies and decent threads- then about double the cost of a nice narrow one just doesn't sound too bad. Best of Luck! Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 06:11 am:

Agreed with Gary.

I searched for ten years for a matching tail light bracket for my pickup so I could run dual tail lights. I have absolutely no idea what it was made for, or application which would have made it a littler easier to find perhaps. When I saw one, the price was high (to me). I was able to negotiate a small amount off, but in the end, I had to pay up as I knew I might not ever find another one. I haven't seen one since.

I am very happy I bought that one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 07:35 am:

I sold one about 5 years ago to Luke Cordes for $150 and had to throw in the 2 early spring perches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 09:35 am:

Gator Gould might have one. gatorsts@frontiernet.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 11:52 am:

The Law of Supply and Demand does often affect transactions and occasionally in unexpected ways.

A fellow I know had a radiator shell from some obscure car and for him it was going to be "wall art" in his shop. The emblem was absent. He "kept an eye open" for one at swap meets, but was not actually "Looking" for one.

Well, one year at a swap meet he came upon a vendor with that shell, in very tough shape, WITH the emblem and It was rather good. The price of the beat up item was Quite High which the vendor justified because the item was rare; "They didn't make many of those cars".

A conversation ensued in which my friend asked about when and how the shell had been found. The seller told the story and added that he had been bringing it to swap meets for years and years with no interest. The discussion finished with the purchase of the shell for a Much Lower price.

Yes, it was a scarce (rare?) item and there was no one else who had any interest in it.

Was it Henry Ford who said "A fast nickel is better than a slow dime"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 06:20 pm:

I enjoy a good buy just as much as anybody, but sometimes I surprise myself at how much I'm willing to pay for something I really want. If I were looking for a specific, rare part for years, I might get a little loose with the wallet when I finally found it. I'd weigh out the amounts not of time and effort that I might have to invest before I get another chance to decide how much I'm willing to pay for the part that I desire.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration