Peter C. Strebeck, Your Answer.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Peter C. Strebeck, Your Answer.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 02:07 am:

Rather than bumping the scam thread back up again, and risking its continuation any further than necessary, I will attempt to answer your legitimate question here.

The answer, unfortunately (like so many things about our model Ts), is not real simple. Basically, YES, that transmission cover with the "Ford" script is correct for 1912. It was used for a short while after the really early style hogsheads with the little square door had been discontinued. The square door was used 1909/'10 and I believe first half 1911 (I don't know the change date, so don't hold me to that exact time). I think about mid to late '11 model year, Ford switched to the well known "chopped" triangle door. The early doors had the logo on them, and were used for I think somewhat more than a year. In early '13 model year, Ford switched to the plain flat cover/door which was used until the late '10s (again, I don't know the exact time of the change), when the most common style thin steel stamped for rigidity cover was used until the end of model T production.

Where this gets a little more complicated, is that some years ago, many reproduction copies of the 1912 door/cover were made and sold just because they looked good. Hundreds of them found their way onto speedsters and other later model Ts just because people liked them. This makes it difficult for people wanting to restore a proper '12. Purists have driven the price up on the original covers rather high. People seeing those, can find old repops offered way over what current reproductions sell for, and get stung.

A quick google search (sometimes they work?) found Lang's price at under $50 for a new current reproduction:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3378-12.aspx

At least I hope that is current?
If one is to buy a repop? Why pay more than the current price for a repop?
Note also, the catalog page I found on line says that the door is correct for mid '12 through mid '13.

Hope all that helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 02:29 am:

Also, if I recall correctly (don't hang me on this!), the earlier "chopped" triangle covers had the Ford script pressed into the metal, but did not have the "MADE IN USA" stamped into them. Those would likely have been used in late '11. The '12 and earliest '13s would have had both the Ford script and the "MADE IN USA" stamped in them.
I think that over the years, repops have been made both ways, with or without the "MADE IN USA".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 07:30 am:

I don't know if this will contribute anything or not, but the first T engine I worked on had a Ford "script" cover. The valve chamber was one opening, not two so it had to be post 1918 or so. The scripted cover plate was original to the engine, not a repop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter C. Strebeck on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 08:42 am:

Wayne,
Thank you for the answer. I have had one for a number of years knocking around being moved from hook to hook on the wall, I am not up-to-snuff on the earlier stuff though.

cover

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration