Intake and Carb

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Intake and Carb
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Stevens on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 08:33 am:

Been looking for a new intake and carb to replace my vaporizer setup. One thing I'm not sure of. If I get something like a NH Holley setup will I still be able to use my exhaust manifold. My exhaust system is in good shape and I'd hate to have to mess with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 12:39 pm:

No, the exhaust manifold is integral with the vaporizer unit because it uses hot exhaust gasses drawn across a heating plate to vaporize the fuel. However, if you are worried about your exhaust pipe fitting a manifold with an NH for the carb, I don't you will have a problem. You may have to get a special linkage adapter for the carb if there's no hole in the block for the throttle rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 12:44 pm:

Randy
Russ Potter at Potters Carburetor rebuilt a vaporizer for me a few years ago. After rebuild it was the best T carburetor I ever experienced. You might give that option a consideration. Probably is cheaper than the changeover.
Jon Crane

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 01:31 pm:

Randy, Kevin is correct. the Holley and Simmons vaporizer intake and exhaust manifolds are a thing of their own. The exhaust pipe and nut and everything back is the same, but to change to a "regular" T intake and exhaust manifold, both the intake and exhaust manifolds must be changed with the carburetor. Also, the vaporizers had the carb throttle rod extending OVER the engine and connected to a lever on the steering column near the firewall as opposed to T's with regular carb setups where the throttle rod passed through a hole punched out between cylinders 2 and 3. If your (steering column) throttle rod does not have a lever, both high for a vaporizer and lower, for a regular carb, a new lever must be installed at the lower position for the rod going through the block.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration