Gas tank repair

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Gas tank repair
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 02:28 pm:

Despite best efforts, my gas tank still leaks around the flange where it connects to the sediment bowl.
Can the flange be replaced to save the tank? Who does this work? Many thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 02:51 pm:

Is it leaking from a soldered seam? If so, I would just fill the tank with water and apply new solder. If it's leaking from the threads, do a Google search of the forum (if you haven't already) and see what sealant others have used successfully. You may need to clean up the threads with a " pipe tap. (Just a little; don't go in too far). If it's an old tank suffering from rust in addition to the leaking problem,I'd get a new one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Curtis Fesler on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 02:53 pm:

The gas tank on the 23 was so full of crud I bit the bullet and bought a new one. I would have been fighting that tank for the rest of my life and it wasn't worth it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 04:46 pm:

Thanks, Steve.
Not sure where it's coming from, which has made this so frustrating.
There is nothing obvious, just this weeping, and a damp sediment bowl.
I'll check again tomorrow morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 05:38 pm:

We put an air hose in the tank, and set the regulator to 15 pounds, and run it for an hour, if it had gas or fresh gas, in it.

Then solder the leak, leave the air hose in it to run, and it can't build any fumes up, air stays clean.

If you are going to use water, Do Not use anything with a flame. It can still blow up an air pocket.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 07:56 pm:

Many thanks!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration