OT - Bringing the first Ford-Huff magneto back to life

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - Bringing the first Ford-Huff magneto back to life
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 07:45 pm:

My good friend and Early Ford enthusiast Bruce is working over our Holley Magneto. This is the second version of the mag (first was on the six cylinder racer in late 1904 and 1906 Model K). We ran this for a while after Dean Y. repaired it initially. However, it came apart internally and needed rewinding and new parts, and Bruce graciously consented (after pleading and whining on my part). This is the second Holley mag he has brought to life. He told me it's an incredibly hot magneto.

In reality, it's the first Capacitor Discharge Ignition (CDI), invented by Ed "Spider" Huff, with rights assigned to Henry Ford. In addition to the Model K, the mag was used on the Thomas 40 and Grout automobile.

Mike Kossor first identified this machine as a CDI system, and left me with this warning, "be careful, this thing can kill you."

Spark at 250 rpm:

Video of the mag operating with oscilloscope:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1bx3ad41cojqpp6/Bruce%20demonstrating%20Holley%20Mag.mp4?dl=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 12:16 am:

Holy cats! Nice hot mag!
How big is that gap!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 07:12 am:

I always wondered how they sparked the electric chair. I guess that's why they called it Old Sparky...yuk..yuk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 12:01 pm:

Duey, about 11/16ths inch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 12:09 am:

This isn't our first "extensive" research into the Holley/Ford/Huff magneto. Several years ago, Dean Yoder had our magneto up and firing. At the Old Car Festival, during downtime, we had a chance to clinically evaluate the Mag:

https://youtu.be/wqoiaizuXu4

A word to those watching, Magneto responsibly.....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration