What do I have? Line bore ID

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: What do I have? Line bore ID
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 12:29 am:

Recently acquired this line bore tool, and would like to know more about who made it, when, and how it works. The two gears are moveable to engage or disengage with the boring bar. I think when one is engaged it rotates the boring bar, and when the other is engaged it feeds the bar forward.

line bore 1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 12:38 am:

Line bore 2
Line bore 3
Line bore 4

There is a button on the crossbar near the gears that looks like it should lock or release something, but I can't get it to do anything. It doesn't push, pull, or turn, but wiggles slightly so it doesn't seem to be locked up. Arrow shows where this is. Any ideas on this?

In the preview, my arrow didn't show up, but it is the button just above the boring bar in this photo.

Line bore 5

Thank you for any information you can share on this tool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 12:52 am:

Looks home made. RE the button, did you turn the set screw out. It might just be a set stop. Sounds like you mostly have it figured out. Nice find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 12:58 am:

I also got some babbit tools as well. Molds for the main bearings, and rod bearings and a rod boring fixture. Here are pictures of these items and some pages of the documentation that came with it.

Babbit 1

Babbit 2

Babbit 3

Babbit 4

Babbit 5

Babbit 6

Babbit 7

This tool was also with it. It is labeled Snap On M-138. I googled it, but couldn't find out anything about it. Any idea what it is for?

Babbit 8

Again, thanks for any information on any of these tools.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 01:01 am:

Mark: I haven't tried backing out the set screw. Good thought. I will give that a shot and see what that does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 05:50 am:

Looks like a copy of a Hempy Cooper bar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 10:02 am:

looks like my hand crank hempy cooper rig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 10:27 am:

Looks like a REALLY GREAT find!!!
Now the FUN begins. Learning the tricks of the trade. Do some practice jobs first

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 10:55 am:

I think that the Snap-On tool was used as part of the rod pouring fixture. There might have been a rod that went up thru the center when the three mold pieces were assembled. The bottom part was the diameter of the hole thru the centers, the upper part reduced in diameter with the "T" handle that fit in the slotted part of the Snap-On, and the whole assembly was pulled tight with the wing nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 12:44 pm:

Those are Model T timing gears!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 12:54 pm:

Mark: Thanks for the suggestion, but I donít think that is correct. Notice the last photo of the manual shows the assembly of the rod pouring fixture and it matches the parts that I have.

Jerry: Really?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 12:57 pm:

Steve,

They've been modified, but yes, really.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 03:52 pm:

The Align Bore may have been early production?

Did you get a Mic or crank with it?

Check the bearings, for ware, you don't want any slack at all.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 06:11 pm:

Herm: No, I did not get a Mic or a crank with it. These are minor matters that I can deal with easily. I think there is wear that will need to be dealt with. I will need to figure out how to get it all apart to assess what needs to be done. If bushings need to be replaced / reamed it will need to be done in such a way to maintain the accuracy of the spacing between the boring bar and the false cam. It will be an interesting project getting it functional. Then I will need to learn how to use it. I have seen enough videos and demonstrations to know the mechanics, but it will take some practice to get proficient.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 12:43 am:

Anyone have any instructions or literature for the Hempy Cooper line boring jig? I have read through some earlier threads and it does look like my tool is either a pre-production or a copy of the Hempy Cooper tool.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration