Old Photo-Rural scene, Steam engine and a car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo-Rural scene, Steam engine and a car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 08:26 am:

Probably not a Ford, but too good not to share.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 08:29 am:

1905 cadillac

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 08:34 am:

Steam engine, car, two bikes, horse, 10 men, 1 boy, wagon in background. Shovel, coal, and a hat on the ground but everyone is wearing a hat and a tie...except the photographer? Interesting, the fenders deflect the road rather than captivate it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Billy Vrana Kewaskum wi on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 09:12 am:

I can't get within a 10 ft of a steam engine with out getting grease every where and there sitting on it in there Sunday best, kind of looks like a Russel traction engine,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 09:48 am:

The bunker decal on the Steam engine identifies it as a Keck Gonnerman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lew Morrill on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 10:28 am:

I would love to know more about this interesting photo. What is everyone dressed up for? A nice display of period transportation with the bike, steam engine and automobile all in the same place at the same time - why?

In any case a great photo even without any details. Thanks for posting it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 10:32 am:

The car looks like a Cadillac. Mine is very similar. My brother and I had 15 65hp Case

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 10:43 am:

The guy in the passenger seat of the Caddy is not happy to be there. Crossed legs, crossed arms, doesnt even want to look at the camera!

He's also wearing what look like lifts. Either he's short and not too happy about that either, or he had polio...

If those two young men in dark jackets in front of him made it into the 1920's, they probably made a killing (and not just monetarily...) during Prohibition!

Just Speculatin'....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 12:55 pm:

Keck-Gonnerman, what a lovely name. Rolls off the tongue, (much like VanOoteghem!!). Why are we not all plowing our fields with Keck-Gonnermans today? I always find it interesting what brand names existed in the days before marketing gurus came up with slick brand names and people used their real names as brand names. Makes me wonder if perfectly viable companies, with excellent products, went out of business simply because they had odd, obtuse sounding names. I really believe that was the tipping point for Oldsmobile. Olds cars were really no different than the other GM offerings, except for the "old" sounding name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 03:48 pm:

Jerry,I think the Keck were the last people to build trash machines and steamers in maybe 1939??Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 04:04 pm:

According to the winternet Keck-Gonnerman went into business in 1873 and according to the article I found "lasted longer than many other companies building steam traction engines" although they don't say when they quit. Reference is made to a "tractor" built in 1924. J.I. Case quit building steamers in 1927. It works be fun to learn more about Keck-Gonnerman !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 04:40 pm:

Jerry - I kinda' like the name,...."American Underslung". Don't know if the car was any good, but it's sure a neat name!

Oh,....and, great photo by the way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 04:48 pm:

More than anyone could- or should- know about the Keck- Gonnerman Company can be found in this exhaustive article from "Belt Pulley"magazine:

http://wellssouth.com/?p=256

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration