Steering pinion pins.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Steering pinion pins.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By len doyle on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 04:01 pm:

So, I bought a kit to replace my 4:1 steering pinions and pins with the same ratio. It looked like the three pins should just pull out, but two of them are not going to come out without a fight! Should I be dismantling further or is there any further advice you could offer, before I exert greater force?

Len

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 04:10 pm:

All 3 should require a fight to get them out. They're pressed in place. You'll need to remove the shaft and knock the pins out from the backside with a drift punch & hammer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Duquette Grand Forks, ND on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 04:26 pm:

Just finished replacing mine yesterday on a late 1925 5:1 column. What worked for me was putting the column in a large vise, supporting the pin side with a 3/8 socket and used a 1/4 socket to push the pin out from the back side. Used a second vise to hold the lower part of the column and made sure everything was level as I pushed out the pins. Also used a 4' piece of steel pipe on the vise handle for extra leverage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By len doyle on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 06:06 pm:

Brilliant suggestion - will do exactly that!

Len

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By len doyle on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 06:06 pm:

Brilliant suggestion - will do exactly that!

Len

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble Northern Michigan on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 10:24 am:

Len,
As you are discovering the pins are hard to remove...what has not been discussed is that a pin that comes out easily indicates the pin, the hole, or both are worn. When you try to install the new pins they should be a press fit, so that loose one may still be loose with a new pin, and that is not good. Mine was so loose that i ended up replacing the shaft. Others may have the skill to weld and drill or bush the pin hole but i did not. Bottom line is dont cut corners on the steering system, it is a life or death safety issue.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration