Transmission Noises

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Transmission Noises
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Sieber on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 05:48 pm:

I pulled my 1925 Coupe out today for the first drive of the year. I checked my oil and gas levels and after a few cranks it started right up and was ready to go for a drive. When I pulled onto the road I noticed that shifting from low gear to high gear was a little bit rough and as the day went on, it didn't seem to get much better. By the time I got the car home, shifting from low to high gear resulted in a very loud clunk/clang coming from the transmission (It sounded like it was coming from under my feet). When driving in low/high gear it sounds great, it is just making the clunk when I shift from low to high. When shifting out of high into low, I noticed it started making a clapping sound for a few seconds and then it goes away. What do you think could be the cause of this problem? Thanks, Nick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 06:00 pm:

It sounds like it's under your feet, but I bet...

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG79.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 06:54 pm:

You might check your u joint. Or also check rear axle end play. Your thrust bearings might be worn. If either of these breaks completely, you will be in free wheeling. It could be in the transmission perhaps the driven plate rivets where it connects to the clutch plate.
I would suggest you jack up one rear wheel and take the inspection plate off the transmission. Leave in high gear Then have someone rotate the rear wheel forward and backward and see if there looks like anything loose in the transmission.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Sieber on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 08:20 pm:

I removed the transmission cover and noticed that 2 of the 3 clutch fingers were not engaging when down shifting from high to low. I tightened the adjustment screws and put in two new cotter pins (the old ones are long gone somewhere inside the transmission!) but this didn't solve the problem. This seemed to fix the clapping sound that I noticed when down shifting, but it still clunks into high gear (it sounds sounds like I am dumping the clutch). Norm, what are the "driven plate rivets where it connects to the clutch plate" that you mentioned in your response?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 09:01 pm:

The shaft which goes through the "4th main" is one piece with the driven plate. The clutch plate is the one where the 3 fingers are attached. The rivets connect those two pieces and are located next to the clutch fingers. quite often those rivets get loose which would cause a clunking sound. A bad Universal joint would also cause a similar noise but maybe louder. And any slack within the rear axle would be transmitted through the drive shaft to the transmission.

When you back off the gas and hit the brake, do you notice a clunk? This would be true with the transmission brake, probably not with rear wheel brakes. There are many parts which could cause the noise.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 09:34 pm:

Nick, also check for slop between the ballcap and the fourth main as this can cause a clunk when shifting. With the floorboards out, move the handbrake back and forth from brake to high gear, if you can see movement at the cap/main, you may need a shim. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Sieber on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 10:15 pm:

Forgive me for all the questions on terminology, but I have only had the car for about a year now and I am still learning all the lingo! (As is my father being that he is the one trying to help me figure this out!)

Norm, I looked at the plate where the clutch fingers are and I found a set of four bolts that appear to be mounting it to the drive plate. Is this what you are talking about? The four bolts are all tight and it looks like the previous owner drilled holes through the top of the bolts and secured them together with wire - as a way to prevent them from backing out I suppose? Also, I did not notice any clunk when hitting the brake. I did adjust the low gear band and it has a little less play in it, but that didn't solve the problem.

John, is the 'fourth main' the bearing inside the universal joint ball cap? The joint with the small grease cup on it (located directly behind the large grease cup)?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 10:44 pm:

Nick, this is the "fourth main", also called the ball cap (Part #3369).

The six (not four) bolts (Part #3323) holding the drive plate to the brake drum came from the factory with holes in the head for safety wiring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 11:13 pm:

Nick, don't feel bad, i could have been much clearer about the terminology myself. The play i was referring to is between the torque tube ball and the fourth main/ball cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Sieber on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 09:53 am:

Well, I'm not sure if this is simply acting as a temporary fix or if this solved the problem, but I backed out the adjustment screws on the clutch fingers about four turns and re-greased the grease cups at the universal joint and that seemed to greatly reduce the clunk when I shift. There is still some noise, but it is not near as loud as before!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 10:35 am:

Nick,

You need to have a look at the u-joint. The grease making it better is probably a sign that the trouble lies there. Do it right & be safe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 10:35 am:

Nick,

You need to have a look at the u-joint. The grease making it better is probably a sign that the trouble lies there. Do it right & be safe.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration