Old Photo - My dad with an old T. Any clues where?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo - My dad with an old T. Any clues where?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Barcelona area (Spain) on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 09:57 am:

I've been wanting to know when and where this recently found photograph of my dad was taken. He has been ill and passed away last night. Dad grew up on a farm near Fountain City, Indiana so he wasn't too far from the Model T museum's current site! He graduated high school in 1940 and then moved to Kansas City. He looks about that age in this picture so this workshop would most likely be in Richmond, Indiana or Kansas City, Missouri.

The sign says "We have no tools to loan" but I cannot make out the rest of the text. There is more writing below but I cannot read it.

Do we have any hawkeyes here? Maybe there is a clue hiding in the rest of the text.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 10:11 am:

If that picture was taken around 1940, then that is a well-used and slightly overheated 25 year-old 1915 model T.
Those grease-slicked coveralls are about as old!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 10:30 am:

I think it is a 13 or a 14 Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 10:33 am:

Building has fire hose and 5 more coveralls in the back corner. Looks like wall is made of painted cinder brick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 10:35 am:

If that car was driven in public, it would have been required to be registered.

Note that there is no license plate on the front of the car.

Indiana and Kansas issued single passenger plates in 1944 and 1945. If your father moved to Kansas in 1940, then the photo was taken in 1944 or 1945 in Kansas if the car was actually registered at the time the photo was taken.

INDIANA: PAIRS - 1913-42; 1946-54 - SINGLES: 1944-45; 1956 - current

KANSAS: PAIRS - 1930-43; 1946-48; 1950-55 - SINGLES: 1913-29; 1944-45; 1949; 1956 - current

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 10:36 am:

1940 was a census year. So, that could track down what city your dad was in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 10:42 am:

I think that those items above the windshield are either tires or inner tubes. They look like Model T sized items. I don't see much that looks like later than Model T stuff there in the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 10:49 am:

Can't help with the photo but condolences on the loss of your dad, Eric

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 10:59 am:

Eric, Our condolences for your loss from the Fischer family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 11:10 am:

The stuff on the bench and under it looks way too old to be 1940. A commercial shop would have newer stuff littering the bench. I don't think magnetos like the one to the right of the broom would be taking up space by 1940.

Ignore my comments if you visit my shop because my bench currently looks just like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 11:35 am:

Erik, by the age of your dad in the picture he would be 16 at the earliest age. That would date the picture in 1938 at the very earliest in time. Sorry to here about the loss of your dad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard H.Miller on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 11:39 am:

Eric, my condolences on the loss of your father. I wish you and your family the best.
Sincerely, Rick Miller & family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 11:56 am:

I am sorry for your loss. He sounds like an interesting fellow. The work bench and workbench in the photo look wonderfully "in use".
Thanks for sharing this.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 12:57 pm:

One of the things I like to see in these old pictures (and in old buildings for real) is the "full sized" lumber. Sure is a far cry from the little sticks that pass for 2X4's today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Barcelona area (Spain) on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 02:39 pm:

I appreciate your comments.

Dad went on hospice in December then my mom passed away unexpectedly three weeks ago. My parents were true soul-mates so we knew he wouldn't last long without her. They were both 95 years young. We will miss them both but are relieved that dad is no longer in pain and that the two of them are together again.

Yes Richard, my dad was a pretty interesting guy. Brought up by a foster family on a farm in Indiana, after studying airplane mechanics he took on various and sundry jobs, finally staying with the Ford Motor Company for 34 years until retirement. He was a true, dyed-in-the-wool "Ford man". He operated his own Ford dealership in the mid 60's in Olathe, Kansas. He wouldn't allow any non-Ford products to park in our driveway so my mom's bridge club lady friends got used to it and just parked on the street. Always the optimist with a Will Rogers attitude - he never met a man he didn't like. He'll be missed.

Thank you all for your condolences.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 03:59 pm:

Very sorry to hear of your loss, Eric.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 04:04 pm:

My condolences on so significant a loss. -May God strengthen you and your family through this difficult time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 04:12 pm:

Sorry to hear about your mom and dad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 05:14 pm:

Very saddened by the loss of both your parents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 05:23 pm:

My sympathy for the loss of both of your parents.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 09:11 pm:

Fantastic photograph Eric AND wonderful views of life/death! They are together again. :-)
My FIL held on for a year and some but he missed his wife badly.
Condolences to you and yours of course. Sad yes but oh the memories!
I have a picture on my office door of my dad giving me the finger (I asked him to!) with his mangled middle finger.
His smile shows the man and makes me smile too. :-)
My wife is a home-care/hospice veteran and I see things like-wise/simply like her...
Look at that head of hair on your dad! And all the goodies in that shop! I'm no help at location as I'm a few states north.
Thank you for posting this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Barcelona area (Spain) on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 02:26 am:

Duey, that's pretty funny about the picture of your dad giving the finger. Your wife performs a very important job/activity/service/vocation. It's hard to call that just a "job".

Dad's hair wasn't quite like in the picture these past years. It turned white in his early forties (same as mom - no doubt due to the shenanigans of four kids) but it was pretty much all there until the end.

I appreciate everyone's comments - both car related and personal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 06:18 am:

Eric, Sympathies to you on the loss of your parents.
Your father reminds me of an acquaintance that works in a Ford Dealership. He will not let anyone on his property that is not driving a Ford. One day a politician pulled into his driveway looking for votes driving a foreign car. He literally ripped the guy apart, going up one side of him and down the other. Some of the quotes were: You claim you're helping us and you pull in driving that thing., and don't ever bother coming back unless you're driving a Ford. The guy couldn't get out of there fast enough.
I kinda feel the same way when something other than a Ford pulls in my driveway although I haven't run anyone off yet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Barcelona area (Spain) on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 04:15 am:

Yup, that sounds just like my dad!

I have to admit that some years after retirement he began to mellow and allowed GM and Chrysler products on the drive :D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 08:05 am:

Sad news ... Iím sorry for your loss. My father died three years ago and I miss him terribly. Just wondering if you are absolutely sure this is a picture of your father. It happens all the time that photos become family treasures with the wrong history and then over time those who were actually alive when the pictures were taken are no longer with us to give an accurate ID.

From a photographic point of view that image is by a professional photographer and looks like it was taken with flash powder which was popular during the T era but not by the 1940s. By then flash bulbs were used and the flash apparatus was usually mounted on the side of the camera. This caused a very shallow shadow. This image with the raking light and long shadow looks like late teens to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 08:11 am:

Here is a clip of me demonstrating magnesium flash.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=b1mOj4ojH1o

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 08:15 am:

Eric, maybe it's your grandfather?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Barcelona area (Spain) on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 12:05 pm:

Mark, it looks like flash photography must have been pretty dangerous back in the day, especially near anything at all flammable!

If I'm not mistaken the Model T Touring car in the picture is a 1914 but it looks like it has electric lights. There's no telling how old the car is in the picture. Maybe it's one of those "rode hard and put away wet" examples and is actually only a few months old!?

I have to admit that when I first saw this picture my brother and sister had to convince me that it was our dad. Even though there are a lot of physical features that coincide, the shop sure does look like there is nothing more modern than Model T parts and technology in it. The shoes also look older that the late 1930's I would say?

I would say it's definitely not my grandad.

I'm going to consult with a friend and see what she comes up with.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration