Redundant parts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Redundant parts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 10:12 am:

Asking for a friend who has redundant parts for the T. He wants to know the best way to sell them to help clean up and gain more space.

After reviewing the classifieds and the comments on the forum, I advised him the best approach was to sort out the copper and brass from the iron and take to a crusher. Fast cash.

There appears to be a large number of T parts available and there are scores of reproductions. The prices vary and there is the over used word rare and hard to find on engine and body parts.

The private sale of parts would take him a long time and a trip to a recycle centre is quick cash.

Thoughts from the forum?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 11:04 am:

If that's the best that can be done for your friend, please contact T guys within a 100 mile radius. Someone would be glad to clean him out for scrap price, and nothing need be destroyed.

I'm willing to bet the "T community" would give him a fair raise above scrap price and "market" if there's anything in the pile that truly is rare. Scrapping anything model T is a loss to our hobby. Please don't resort to that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 11:23 am:

I have been in the hobby and collecting parts for forty (40) years. It’s been great fun and during that time I have rebuilt about 15 cars and repaired many more.
The time is fast approaching to downsize from my beloved 2000 square foot barn so I need to dispose of many many common parts. For the last two years I have been offering random parts either free or one to five dollars. One of my adverts promising”we will make a deal” yet the pile is only reducing slowly.
Last year I had a similar situation with VW Bug engine parts. In the end I sold the hold truckload to a wholesaler for $100.
I am coming to the conclusion that much of what is left of the T stuff will be scrapped. So I have much sympathy with George and fellow long term members who face a similar dilemma.
I rather suspect that by the end of 2018, most of my surplus stuff will go to the scrapper

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 11:42 am:

Your profile indicates that you are from central PA. If your friend is near you, he's not far from Hershey. He could get a space or two and haul everything he wants to sell to the meet in early October. Or, depending on the quantity and his level of ability and/or motivation, he could send it along with someone else. Lots of different scenarios possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 11:47 am:

Last November I took a lot of heavy hard parts to sell to a swap meet. Put them on piles with a price of $20.00 a pile. I was sold out in less than 15 minutes. I would not have gotten that in scrap value.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 11:53 am:

Like R.V. said to take it to Hershey would be good advice. If he don't want the hassle have some one else take it and give that person half the money for all his work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 01:17 pm:

One mans trash is another mans treasure. Always has been and always will be!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hardiman on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 02:07 pm:

Keep us informed as to his space in Hershey if he decides to go that route. Although, I am unable to walk flee markets this year I might venture to drive a 3 wheeled scooter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 02:15 pm:

The museum is taking tools. Certainly, there has got to be a way that the museum shop can benefit from old parts that may one day be restored there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn W. Beers / Kunkletown, Pa on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 02:28 pm:

PM Sent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 04:32 pm:

Destruction is definitely a mistake as you'd be surprised at what others consider OK/usable. Getting people there is the only problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 05:04 pm:

I sympathize with people in this situation. I suspect I may be there soon myself. While I totally understand Tony B's comments, and George J D's position, I really hate the way society has gone. As a people, we have lost the caring about our heritage, our past, and any concern for the people and how we got to where we are. Not CARING about anything, is one of the quickest ways to lose it! We have a government that PAYS scrappers (surreptitiously) to "clean up" the environment" by destroying things of historic value. NO consideration is given to WHAT is being hauled away and scrapped. And easily half of what is, poses NO threat to the environment in the first place.

If we do not care enough to remember those that came before us and paved the way for our lives? Why should anyone after us ever care that we were here?
You can quote me on that.

I cannot help but wonder WHY we have a government that is trying to make nothing matter to the majority of its people.

I'll shut up now.

Although I do wish I were close enough to help out. I am still collecting more model T era stuff to preserve it as long as I can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 06:15 pm:

I bought 2 ujoints at Chickasha that were in excellent shape among a "pile of parts" selling for $2.00 per item. The guy said he was cleaning a bunch of excess parts out of some bldgs and was thinning things down.
I did take several T fenders to the scrap yard but they were just to far gone. But I save all the fender brackets off of them.
Those are some T parts that aren't being reproduced. I have a stack of them and occasionally use one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 06:49 pm:

Glenn, I'm cheering for you right now and hope you're able to save those parts. :-) I also wish I was more mobile with a good truck, trailer and could bear to drive a thousand miles or two to collect more parts!
My small cache of parts is safe until I'm dead, obviously. I don't know if the kids will keep it all after that party...
I hope so. Trouble is, it could be 5 minutes or 50 years away! :-) Control Wayne, they want control.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 08:37 pm:

It's a crime to scape any Model T part. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 08:49 pm:

Duey C, It is more than control. They want a clueless couldn't care less population that keeps voting in people that really should be in prison for graft and corruption. And, of course, control comes from that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 01:09 pm:

I dig up parts .....\

Post deleted
Chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 01:41 pm:

WOW Why talk that way??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 04:20 pm:

From this read...the Model T Ford is not that universal world wide when the discussion is the availability of used parts.

If this advertisement from 1921 is any indication of the number of cars shipped to Australia (even New Zealand), as the cars become worn, there would be few salvageable parts around after 100 years.

kep may have a valid point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn W. Beers / Kunkletown, Pa on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 07:47 pm:

George, 2nd PM sent

Thanks
Glenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 10:16 pm:

None of this talk is good news for us in the under-35 crowd. I hope to keep my car on the road as long as most of you have been able to.

Sent you a PM George. I sure would like a shot before the junk man.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 11:51 pm:

It's strange isn't it? Scrapping verses saving... Glad to see Dan piping up here! :-)
I'm 53 years old and don't have enough spares yet. Of course, the junk I want (don't need) is the middle of the road, black era parts... :-)
I was allowed to dig in a local farmer's little pile of small parts in the dirt at his place across the lake in 96, 97 or so.
I found the crankshaft pulley that's on the 19 engine in my Crappy 24! I was blinking happy!
Kep, if you are ever in Minnesota, you are welcome to a sampling of the parts I have in my very small pile that you could ship home to NZ.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 07:26 am:

Thanks for deleting that post Chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 08:58 am:

This guy must not be to interested in saving or selling these parts I have sent two messages about buying them, no reply.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 10:11 am:

Oh Darryl, Darryl I have had two PMs from Dan and Glenn. I responded to then on the forums PM page, I asked them to sent to a different email as the one for the forum has been compromised. Please note , truly, there are parts owned by a friend and not mine.

At this point I have no Idea what he wants to do with the stuff.

The original question was to get ideas and information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn W. Beers / Kunkletown, Pa on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 10:39 am:

George,I just sent you a message. We lost power Fri. 11:00 AM snow and 35-55 MPH winds trees and power lines down all over. The power came back on last night 10:00 PM we are lucky 50,000 people still with no power.

Thanks
Glenn

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration