26/27 Rear damage

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 26/27 Rear damage
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 01:04 pm:

am rebuilding a few rear axle assemblies. I found a little damage to the axle housings that was under my T. The images are of the torque tube mount. Most of the images are of the worse half.

I am wondering what your thoughts are. If I can find a really good welder, do you think they can braze these cracks? I do have a possible lead on some new housings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 01:26 pm:

Jason,
Because of where the cracks are, I think the best welding is only a temporary fix, if that!
In the long run, especially if you have a lead on another housing, I'd go that way.
Sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 01:30 pm:

Find better housings. Even the holes that don't have cracks look as if they're half stripped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 02:11 pm:

If you do weld it, you will also have to re-tap the threads, and run the others through while you are at it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 02:59 pm:

I also think, find different ones.

Welding, they will be warped, and you will have way more in them then different parts. There a lot of them around.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 08:25 pm:

These holes are not a standard thread. They can't just be retapped, you have to have the correct tap.
Those pieces look like candidates for car stands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 09:49 pm:

You could bevel out the cracks and braze them. Then you could retap for 3/8-16 helicoils and assemble with standard 3/8-16 bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 10:06 pm:

Ted, that was what I was thinking, If I went that direction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 10:39 pm:

Jason; I have the tap, if you do weld this up it needs to be with a rod that is machinable, no problem if you braze it. I can loan you the tap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Beyer on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 12:37 am:

Those are tough to weld or braze because no matter how well you clean it the heat makes the cast iron weep oil that turns black and ruins the joint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 07:43 am:

Those housings are made of malleable iron, NOT regular gray iron. My thought is; If it is cracked, then is the rest of the housing distorted too? Donít overlook that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 10:39 am:

OMG, throw them away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 11:00 am:

My thought is rolling down the highway and thinking about that weld repair, and hoping it was okay.
Not for me. Replace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 01:12 pm:

Weld it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration