OT - More Model K parts and paint. Almost time for reassembly.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - More Model K parts and paint. Almost time for reassembly.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 04:25 pm:

Peter and the guys at Fawcett restoration are getting close to beginning to put her back together. The seats are striped now and he told me they'll begin putting the body together on the frame next:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 05:05 pm:

Decal for the seats?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 05:07 pm:

I can picture it now! Beautiful!
But I still want to see more photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 05:18 pm:

Rob,
Will you still hoon down those Nebraska dirt back roads with the drone in tail, now that the K will look like a trailer Queen?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 09:34 pm:

I've been looking for a place to ride my bike to this summer. I may have to swing through Nebraska!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 09:59 pm:

Frank and all. My Nebraska dirt roads are where I grew up. I used to strip down my motorcycle and run fast as it would go on our dirt roads. Sooooo, that's where i'll continue to drive our Model K. It's going to be prettier and smoother. Other than that, it's a car, made to drive... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 11:04 pm:

As it should be. Rob, YOU DA MAN!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 06:16 am:

I always thought the plain red paint job looked a bit dull. The black on the red is really nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 08:35 am:

Robís car looks great but itís Daveís suggestion that hits a memory chord.

Slightly off topic - A few years ago, I had a weeklong meeting in Denver so my retired friend John and I decided to make it into a road trip.
While I was in meetings, he dropped some of my sonís brake drums off at Bertís Model A to be re-worked. He also made friends with a bunch of bicycle riders and learned about the local brews of Denver. We then went on to visit Dave Huson and then headed home on the weekend.

There were a couple of glitches; Johnís furnace went out at home and he had to diagnose and prescribe a few workarounds for his missus as we traveled.

Our first day on the road west, we made it as far as York, Nebraska and I was able to use my talking car to register for a hotel room while driving on the interstate; a novelty for the time. Once there we got the room keys and asked the manager for a good place to eat. He suggested a place called Chances R; he told us we would enjoy the food as well as the antiques.

He was right. The food was great and the antique furnishings, signs, and gas pumps were fantastic. Then suddenly, people wearing red sport coats and dresses started coming in and sitting around us to watch a game. It was then that I realized John was wearing his green Michigan State sweatshirt. We left shortly after.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 10:15 am:

Hey, Rob -- You're gonna have a brand-new-111-year-old car!

I do hope you'll get off the gravel and to the pavement as soon as you can from your house; the Sedan that Charlie bought from you had LOTS of gravel chips on it. (Try taking the County Judge out to dinner a few times--maybe your road will get paved.) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 10:47 pm:

Thanks as always for the comments and thoughts. Tom, I know York, and Chances R well. I live 35 miles away, and spent time in York with my cousins as a boy. Chances is an area icon.

Mike, I know, chips in the under fender paint it will be. Life is too short to not enjoy our cars whenever possible, and I have the good (and mis) fortune to live in the country.

A few more pics Peter sent today. He also told me the crankshaft (straightened) and camshaft (rebuilt lobes to specs) are back, so next week the engine begins to go together.

Front fenders and aprons with new sections:

Rear deck:

Brass deck trim:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 11:18 pm:

It is looking so good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 11:49 pm:

Looking better and better all the time

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 03:23 pm:

Very nice Rob. I cant even imagine the investment your pouring into your car. The detail work is perfit. But when we like what we are doing it not that much. I'm all the time telling people that Iv got more invested in my Model T than I will ever get out of it.Thus is why its going to my kids when I can no longer enjoy it. Your building your dream car, Not everyone can say that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 03:44 pm:

To right Will,
No point in being the richest man in the bone yard!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 03:46 pm:

Well Rob the car is looking great! Now you have to get a seat on the county commissioners board and take the road department commissioner position and demand that they pave your road! No more stone chip problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 07:13 pm:

Looks really nice and the repair and restoration work is 2nd to none. I have to say that the red reminds me of the Red Corvettes I grew up around during the 60's and early 70's. Over time there are a lot of different shades of red that's been put on cars. Sooner or later they eventually show up again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 09:28 am:

Thanks guys. It's costing quite a lot, but this is my "dream car" and probably the last one I'll buy, and last one I'll own. I was close to taking on another "project" when it occurred to me, why take three or four years sorting out a project, spending more than it will ever be worth, when I already have the car of my dreams capable of 70 plus mph. Sooooo, I decided to put the money into the car I already owned (and that had several "needs").

The only change from original is we're adding an electric overdrive, and hiding a mini-alternator, so we have constant battery charge and can go down the highway at lower rpm. We're also adding a roadster top so we'll have a windscreen and side curtains for all weather driving. My ultimate goal is to drive to and from tours instead of trailering.

Peter had three shades of red sprayed out when I visited his shop in early January, and we chose the one closest to the original paint we found under a tin veneer that was on the car (below). You can see the difference in the repainted tin that was over the original wood red. We were also able to see the original pin-striping, a single stripe as opposed to the double thinner striping added when the car was repainted, probably in the 50's. This car was essentially a one owner car in the same family from the time it was new in the fall of 1907 until it was donated to a museum in the mid-1960's.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration