1919/26 TT Update

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1919/26 TT Update
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grant J Barlow on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 09:02 pm:

The snow and cold has subsided, so I was able to get to the barn and start working on my TT. I've ordered new seats from Mac's, should be here in the next week and I can get them upholstered. Current seat & back is Lauan plywood w/ foam and white vinyl.

After I pulled the seats out, I found this:Mouse Condo

Also noted this hole. Vent for gas vapors?Hole

I've ordered hardware for the windshield and am waiting for my battery to come in (Optima Red Top, 6v). I will be able to test the coils.

I hope to try to start if the coils test good.

Question about fuel. Since Henry wanted the T to be able to run on Ethanol, does that mean I could run on E85 if I wanted?
Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 10:24 pm:

The "hole" is for a rubber anti-rattle stop for the door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 10:59 pm:

The model T runs okay on the modern drunkard garbage as gasoline. But it does mean that you need to drive it a lot! (Darn! :-) ) That lousy alcohol gas spoils in the tank (sometimes very quickly, sometimes not too bad) so you need to keep driving out the old gas and put new in.
My main complaint about the modern gas is that it is not efficient. Fuel mileage and performance dropped almost 25 percent when the gov't forced us to switch to it. It does okay in my modern vehicles, but my model Ts lost a full ten miles per hour off their top and cruising speeds.

As for Henry wanting the T to run on alcohol? There is some basis in truth to that? But it is more mythology than fact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 01:00 am:

Whooda thunk a Terrier pup could live under there. :-)
If those coils test half-way, it'll go!
Would you share any other photos of your truck?
I've used racing alcohol fuel in my T before. Worked good! Just a twist on the the carb adjuster...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grant J Barlow on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 05:29 pm:

Here are the 'AS FOUND' pictures Picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 09:05 pm:

You have a battery on order so it is not an issue, but the coils do not really care about the voltage much. A six volt lantern battery would have worked to test them or a modern 12 volt on the bench. The starter and generator or light bulbs wouldn't really like the 12 volt if you tried it in the vehicle.

-Love the "wood bed"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 07:41 am:

A T will run on E-85 (Do they even still sell that? Not around here anymore!). I've done it. For a year straight! You will see a mild reduction in performance. What you will notice more is it is a royal PIA to start in cold weather. I mean NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE! I had not expected that. My one year experiment was really more of a bet or dare, as someone insisted it would rot out the whole fuel system, yada, yada, yada, which I knew was BS, so I proved it was BS. There was absolutely NO damage to the vehicle, but cold starts were frustrating. I resorted to heating the intake manifold with a propane torch. It's the only way I could get it started on a cold morning.

So......Can you run a T on E-85? Most certainly. Are there any advantages to running on E-85? Can't think of any, other than the satisfaction of being able to say I've done it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 04:29 pm:

Oh yes, I remember that gorgeous truck! Thanks Grant!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration