Hacked???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Hacked???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 10:58 pm:

Either we been hacked or China bought a huge block of advertising on the forum.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 07:00 am:

Boy oh Boy do I have to agree.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 07:36 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 10:31 am:

Not hacked, they came in the front door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 11:07 am:

Thank you Thomas, it's my pet peeve when crappy security gets confused with hacking. If this place got hacked you likely wouldn't have the option of clicking on an ad thread, the ad would just jam itself in your face.

The level of security here is a double edged sword. On one hand it's easy for genuine new members to sign up without having to go through some onerous MTFCA members-only or some kind of credit card verification step. This is especially good for when a curious kid wants to join the conversation. On the other hand, it's also very easy for folks with an advertising agenda to show up and start spamming the place which is what we've seen this time around and generally gets dealt with pretty quickly.

Just my opinion, but security through obscurity works well enough for the time being.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 08:05 pm:

lucky Us!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 08:45 pm:

I figure I know what they mean when they say "hacked", although calling it "spam" might be more appropriate.
Just like the (lengthy expletives deleted) people that send endless spam to my email, the people that dump this kind of garbage onto any available web forum are among the worst of self-centered narcissists. The fact that 99.9999 percent of their spam leads to zero results, and wastes thousands of people's time, cause personal distress, etc etc etc, they couldn't care less. These people disrupt people's lives simply because they believe that their personal greed is more important than anyone else's hopes or dreams.
It could be stopped. Not that difficult to do for a nation, with real computer geniuses and a few decent laws to outlaw their "right" to be disruptive. That "right" of theirs should NOT be more important than a million good people's right to "the pursuit of happiness". Remember that phrase? Seems to me, it used to be on an important piece of paper. Maybe it is time our government was reminded about that.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration