1906 Ford Model N restoration wiring question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1906 Ford Model N restoration wiring question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 07:05 am:

I need to make a new wiring harness for my Model N, does anyone out there know the correct wire colors Henry might have used? This would be the battery box wires and the timer wires. Thanks for any help, I've already posted on the Early Ford Registry, but no reply's. Thanks for any help!Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 12:33 pm:

Bob,
I used a 26-27 T wiring harness from the box to timer. I don't know what the original looked like, but this is a simple way to keep everything in place. It's difficult to see the wire (back of the camshaft timer to bottom of the coil box), and the harness will soon be grease and grime covered.

Good luck,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 07:57 pm:

Thanks for the info, mine seems to be original, but hanging on by a thread! Also to greasy to identify any colors. I'm just going to move on as you suggest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 08:30 am:

There is a wiring diagram with colors listed in the electrical system section of Pate's Early Ford Encyclopedia. Can't reproduce it here because of copyright, sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 08:57 pm:

Copyright should be expired by now. And since you are not showing it for monetary gain, I do not think there is any reason not to post it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 08:59 pm:

I'd like to know the proper routing. I was working on one and it was close enough to the exhaust manifold that it was getting scorched. That's a tough thing to avoid given the placement of the timer. Is there supposed to be any kind of shield?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 05:55 am:

Hey Mark, I do have Pate's book and see the wiring diagram in section 10, page 7, but don't see any colors. I also looked on the CD, but don't see anything, am I missing it? Thanks Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 07:55 am:

Bob,

Two thoughts come to mind. First recommend you contact Trent Boggess. He has a very original 1908 Roadster. And he loves details about the early cars.

Second, the Henry Ford Museum has an excellent original 1907ish Model N Ford on display. It might also have the original wiring.

Finally, if you do find some additional clues please let folks know.

Not requested -- but would be part of the ignition on the N,R, S, & SR cars -- reproduction old style dry cell labels etc. See: http://www.radiolaguy.com/Batteries/Vintage_Batteries.htm

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 08:47 am:

Oops, sorry, my bad Bob, I was looking at the 1903-1905 diagram on the previous page, it has the wire colors called out in text.

Here is a link to some early Ford manuals:

http://www.cimorelli.com/mtdl/pre-1909/default.htm

Rob Heyen has a Model N, perhaps he can chime in with the wire colors on his car. :-)

Also, here is a link to Carlton Pate's early Ford web page, perhaps contact Carlton direct?

http://www.earlyfordcars.info/

(Message edited by cudaman on March 04, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 09:59 am:

Mark,
Above I mentioned we used a 26/27 harness, as it was similar in length to what we needed. I'll go back to my old photos and see if we took any of the original loom, although I think they were very discolored.

These photos from an English sales brochure don't show much, however may be useful generally. The link to the brochure is included. Courtesy of the Detroit Public Library:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t901ngfk0h4328t/English%20K%20and%20N%20Brochure.pdf?dl=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 11:35 am:

For my N, I just used appropriate looking clothe covered wire and bundled them with the aluminum wire ties from Restoration Supply Co. It looks period correct. http://restorationstuff.com/catalog.html

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration