OT.. WAY OT....just 15 mins. of my favorite music.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT.. WAY OT....just 15 mins. of my favorite music.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 01:56 pm:

Before anyone says anything... I know this is a Model T forum...And they may take my post off.
But I just had to share.... because I Love It..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E24wWRE8AU

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 02:55 pm:

STEVE, there is nothing wrong with your post in my book, to bad the youngsters of to day wont have the memory of that time in people like me that lived through that time,I too love that sound,it brings back so many memories of the good times.not that there.s not good times today,they are just a bit different,thank you for the pleasure.GREG.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 03:14 pm:

Steve, I have a retro jukebox (a reproduction of a Wurlitzer 950, introduced in 1942) that holds 200 cds.
50 of them are Big Band era collections (plus the torch song album trilogy Linda Ronstadt did with Nelson Riddle in the 1980's).
Nothing sounds better blasting out of that box!

Sirius XM also has a Big Band channel that can often be heard playing in my garage- if I'm not busy listening to the '50's channel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 03:29 pm:

That's music to my ears. I enjoyed the break.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 05:39 pm:

Writing this as I listen to your post and LOVE it!!! Although I was born after the Big Band Era, I really love his music. Oddly enough, so all of my kids who are in their 30s. We play this style music a lot in my house and half the time, it's my kids that put it on. In fact, my daughter, Angelina, is a swing dancer and instructor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 12:25 am:

Great music from a great era, couldn't help but think of Mom & Dad. They both loved their music, I grew up listening to these sounds coming out of the Hi-Fi. Thanks Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 02:20 am:

I would quickly say that it may not be my favorite era for music, but I loved it! The big band era can always get your heart pumping!
No complaints from me it being OT. Besides, I still say this forums off-topic threads is one of the main reasons this site is so active. And one of the main reasons serious model T questions often get answered in minutes, instead of days. That is my opinion. I have said it before, and likely will again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 07:06 am:

Dale, I will be over with a couple rolls of nickles....and that's a beautiful box BTW.

Marty, You are a lucky man.. I use to be a dancing fool... Now I'm just a fool. (my knees and hips don't let me dance like I use to.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 02:04 pm:

Big band and ragtime are my favorite forms of music--well, I also like a lot of classical stuff and Broadway music too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 10:07 pm:

Finding this kind of music became a hobby of mine starting back in the 1970's when I was a gigging musician. -Back then, Time-Life attempted to record, in a modern studio, a big set of swing recordings (and sell them along with a bundle of books and photos which could only be purchased as a complete package).

Time-Life found that no sheet-music charts for the individual instruments were available and so, searched out surviving "side-men" who had played with the famous "big bands"óand some of these old musicians still had in their possession, original hand-written music. -For the parts of scores where no written sheets were available, the music was "lifted" off ancient recordings by the simple but difficult expedient of listening to the individual parts and writing them out.

The whole thing was a huge undertaking. -Finally, the collection of photos, books and recordings was marketed as a single, very expensive package. -The old arrangements, now recorded in a modern studio, were a quantum leap beyond the scratchy, low-fidelity sound of the original 78 RPM, shellac-resin records.-They sounded great.

Once the ice was thus broken, other musicians and bands did the same thing and now we have no shortage of extremely high quality swing-era recordings. -One of them, The BBC Big Band Orchestra, recorded a comprehensive, digital CD album and brother, it is one of the very best (and it's not particularly expensive).

You can hear many of their wonderful recordings right here on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLVm_L3bPncimsSq9_wRBej3fxT3CMX6a

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 10:34 pm:

My favorite music too.
I danced to that type of music yesterday for three hours and again today three more. On tuesdays only one and a half.
We also have a lot of fifties and sixties music mixed in with the big band music.
We have a radio station here at a two town high school that is for broadcasting sports.
Naturally most of the time no sports are being played so the station is being used to broadcast that good old music.
Even though I am less than thirty miles away I canít usually pick it up but I can hear it on the computer.
Wish I could get it in my car and at work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 10:59 pm:

Also on YouTube you can find Sun Valley Serenade, in which Glen and the band play some of their hits in unintentional stereo. Microphones were placed in various locations to correspond to different camera perspectives. When the various tracks were combined the result was stereo sound. The film also includes a great song and dance number with Dorothy Dandridge and the Nicholas Brothers. It's simply an inserted variety piece unconnected to the story so it could be cut out when showing the film in southern theaters.

For the best rendition of Sing, Sing, Sing I would go with the Goodman Carnegie Hall concert. Jess Stacy's piano work in that is delicious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 09:05 pm:

My grandfather was secretary of the musicianís union in Taunton Mass.
When the big outside bands played at Roseland Ballroom he had to collect some type of local dues.
I often went with him and remember meeting the Dorsey Brothers.
I am sure I met many other famous musicians but was just a dumb kid and clueless.
Now days I am not a kid but still dumb and clueless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn-Colorado on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 07:03 pm:

Fantastic music. So many great performers from then.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration