Can anyone tell me the source for 1923-25 Touring body wood plans?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Can anyone tell me the source for 1923-25 Touring body wood plans?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 03:08 pm:

I have a friend in Argentina who is looking for these body wood plans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 03:23 pm:

I believe I have a set, Ron - I'll look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 05:11 pm:

Steve
If you send me a copy I will destroy your $25 check. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 05:19 pm:

Sorry Ron - that's about the only set I don't have !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 05:26 pm:

Leon Parker has the Mel Miller wood plans. I recently got a set from him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 05:40 pm:

Ron,

If you don't obtain a set, I highly recommend Leon Parker's rewooding plans. His forum profile is at: http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profil e=leon_parker-users and has his e-mail address is listed there. Or if you want his phone number, drop me an e-mail (I don't like to post other people's phone numbers on the internet).

For a positive comment on his wood plans please see the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/198934.html?1300828585

Finally, recommend you have your friend clarify if his car is a 1923 which has the low cowl or a 1924-1925 body that has the high cowl. The wood plans are different. If you want help in how to tell the difference please see the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/155108.html?1281819246

Also if he has only sheet metal parts -- if he does not know that they are all from the same body/year -- they look very similar but sometimes do not fit. In that case having the year range of the parts determined can save a lot of frustration later.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 05:45 pm:

Hap and Ron, Leons plans cover '21-'25, and have notations on what is different dimensions for the high and low hood cars.

The plans are quite comprehensive and certain items on them are full-size scale. Highly recommended.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 07:31 pm:

Thanks Chad!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 10:08 am:

Thanks for the input.
Here is a photo of the Model T Marcelo Fiuri from Sunchales, Santa Fe Province Argentina recently purchased.
Can anyone tell me exactly what year it is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 10:12 am:

By the look of the right door hinges I would say a '25

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 11:32 am:

Keep in mind the wood for a 1925 is different than a 1924, even though the bodies appear to be the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 11:40 am:

top of that body dont look right for any ford??? charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 09:53 pm:

Ron,

As Charley pointed out above the body does NOT look like a normal USA produced Model T Touring body.

The firewall is clearly the correct size and shape for a 1924-25 Model T Ford (and there are minor differences in the early 1924 and the late 1925 firewalls but size wise they are the same. And they continued to be used on the 1926-27 Ton Trucks). The photo below is from Phil Mino (thank you Phil).

From the single photo I cannot tell if the cowl is or is not a standard Ford open car 1924-25 cowl. Another photo from the side should clear that up. It would show the seam that the Model Ts have or it would show that there is not one. Of course it may have been filled in and sanded smooth by someone in the past 90 plus years. Below is a typical 1924-25 cowl from the outside:
(Photo from the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/154886.html?1284406326 Thank you William Vandenburg for posting photos of your 1924 touring -- note it has more wood than the very late 1924 and 1925 tourings.)

But Ron's friend's car has a different style of channel around the top of the body. Below is a cropped section of the front seat:

Compare to a typical 1921-25 front seat back section shown below (from: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/396711.html?1384456727 and show's Mark Strange's 1924 cut off touring that was made into a pickup truck )

Note the typical T does not have a "U" shaped channel around the top of the seats.

On your friend's car, perhaps someone welded a "U" channel into the body because they were good with metal and did not have any wood working tools? Or perhaps -- but I would be surprised if it were so, the bodies in Argentina may have been produced that way? We do know there were some variations in the cars depending on when and where they were produced. For example the Argentina T's had 30 x 3 1/2 demountables that were NOT clinchers but were straight sided rims/tires (see: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/264646.html ).

Again, additional photos would probably help clarify if the body was modified, came that way from Ford or if someone grafted the front part of a T cowl onto a body from a different manufacturer or if something else explains the "U" channel on the top of the seats.

Photos of the cowl would also be helpful from the inside of the car.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 05:41 pm:

I would wait on plans on the body, Do not believe that is a model T, I just posted on the other tread about this concerning lack of holes for choke and mixture control, did not pick up lack of holes for the coils, Ron you should have found that!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 05:56 pm:

Also looks a pivot for a foot throttle near center of cowl bottom !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 09:00 pm:

This is getting a little difficult to keep up with. OK -- probably only for me. But please post your comments on the thread at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/822076/842935.html?1520117809

That one has the bulk of the information and a much better title. I also reposted the last two posting above from here to over there.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration