27 Coupe Qtr & Rear window questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 27 Coupe Qtr & Rear window questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alby Anderson on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 05:51 pm:

I have new safety glass windows and the rubber channel from Lang’s.

How is this mounted in the car. Is it set in silicone or just held by the window garnish molding.

Thanks for any help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 06:34 pm:

It originally was just hung. I use rubber adhesive to hold it in place because the new stuff doesn't hang like the original did. Also the original plate glass was 3/16" and unless you replaced it with 3/16" the 1/4" tends to have much more drag when opening and closing the windows. I normally have a 1/16" taken off of new glass to allow room for the thicker window channel you get nowadays.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alby Anderson on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 07:18 pm:

Thanks Don.

What adhesive did you use. Did you put that adhesive inside the molding also

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 07:45 pm:

I use Loctite PL-S30 urethane "Roof and Flashing Sealant. It sticks to anything and can be cut with a razor blade if needed. Just put small dabs about every 3 or 4 inches enough to hold the window channel in place. You may want to use masking tape to hold the channel firmly while the adhesive dries. That stuff takes overnite to cure. I'm not sure what you mean about "inside the molding" ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alby Anderson on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 08:13 pm:

The rubber molding that surrounds the quarter and the rear window is shaped like a u. I don't know if you're supposed to put sealant inside the U to hold a glass in the molding before you use the sealant to hold the glass and molding on to the body

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 08:14 pm:

26 7 coupe rear and ktr windows are are they not set, non opening ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alby Anderson on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 08:16 pm:

They are fixed windows. They do not open or close

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alby Anderson on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 08:19 pm:

I guess if they don't open there's no concern about closing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 08:27 pm:

Oh boy I was thinking they opened. Sorry, but I do use the sealant on the fixed windows also. If you don't they will leak. The U shaped gasket doesn't seal well at all. So yes you can use the sealant inside the gasket. That Loctite cleans with mineral spirits so you can get a nice clean bead when you are done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alby Anderson on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 09:37 pm:

Thanks dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alby Anderson on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 09:39 pm:

I mean Don sorry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 10:51 pm:

Eavesdropping and appreciating all this. Ya'll using tempered or laminate?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alby Anderson on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 10:57 pm:

Laminate

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration