Pouring Main Bearings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Pouring Main Bearings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Curt Brainard on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 10:39 pm:

I have been using liquid flux and solder when tinning bearings caps and would like to try tinning butter. There are a wide range of products and costs. Any suggestions?

Also, where to buy it.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 01:12 am:

Curt:
I use "tinning Butter" from Eastwood supply ...their part # is 31043 ...phone # is 800-345-1178
I do not know the current pricing since it has been several years since I purchased several containers ...
hope this helps ...always an optimist gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 02:00 am:

Eastwood tinning butter works great for us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 09:35 am:

Curt Drop me an email at svibert102@gmail.com so you can come get your rods, I also use tinning butter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 02:03 pm:

How is tinning butter on pancakes??
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 11:53 am:

Doesn’t anyone here have a concern about the lead in that product?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 12:33 pm:

MSA respirator work between you and a strong exhaust fan lead is not a problem
David: tinning butter is tough to chew when it gets cool enough to eat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 12:55 pm:

Ya, it goes good with Friskies, at the end of the month!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 01:13 pm:

Any opinion on soldering salt use rather then tinning butter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 01:56 pm:

Soldering salts is all I will use. What ever works for you is what should be used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 02:37 pm:

I should clarify... I wasn’t concerned about the toxicity of the lead, but mostly wondering if anyone here had a concern about the lead in that product in their finished bearings?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 04:06 pm:

Yes, but I did not post anything regarding this.
I don't get lead anywhere near my babbitt. Why would you? I have always used XXXX Nickel Babbitt that contains no lead, so why would you contaminate it with a product that contains it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 04:14 pm:

As you would be using new babbitt, the little bit of lead (if any) in the tinning butter should not effect the babbitt. It's only a thin tinning coat to allow the babbitt to stick to the metal. Babbitt shouldn't be melted out and reused anyway and even if you did a repore using the same babbitt, the parts per ? would be very small unlike a lead based babbitt where the amount would be much higher.
REused babbitt might be ok for a hit and miss engine or other non high pressure applications but not in an engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Curt Brainard on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 07:21 pm:

Mike,
Where do you get your soldering salt and exactly what manufacturing and product Identification?

Thanks - I would like to try some as well as Eastwoods. What I have been doing with conventional flux does not work as well as I would like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 07:42 pm:

Curt
I use #27
follow the link

http://www.superiorflux.com/soldering-salt-babbitt-flux/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 12:17 am:

I don't use either one as I have a cholesterol problem already. No butter or salt for me.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration