Transmission bands questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Transmission bands questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 07:55 am:

Hello, after I got the ignition key out of the transmission, I took the bands out and inspected them. They look worn with one showing signs of shreading. What the heck, I bought kevlar to install.

My questions: the bands should be round when they get put back in, but how round is round? What is the diameter of the drums (save me a lookup).

If Herm is looking, I noticed on one of your threads that you install bands in 2 pieces with a gap halfway around the band. What is your thinking here? I have dipped the ends in red Spraycote - a slick idea. My old bands were starting to fall apart at the ends...

Thanks, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Barcelona area (Spain) on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 08:07 am:

The drums are 7.500" in diameter.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/793804.html?1506607105

After you round them out, if you can mount the newly lined bands with the hogshead off, it is much easier on the bands and they will stay round. In my experience, mounting the bands through the inspection door will deform them so they become out of round and cause problems with dragging on the drums.

I haven't ever tried mounting the friction material in two pieces, but know some other have with good results.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 08:09 am:

The shredding may have been caused by a cracked drum. Best to take a look before you put it back together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 09:08 am:

Bill, The purpose of the gap is to allow more oil to reach the drum which would reduce heat build up. Definitely check for cracks and rough areas as that can cause band shredding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 10:39 am:

The bands have wear similar to but not as bad as the photo. I smoothed out any rough areas, and there are no cracks that I can see. I have the hogshead off and am installing bushings and o-ring oil seals for the 3 pedal shafts, I will post pix when I get a break. Thank you all for the input!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration