OT - For the antique audiophiles on here...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - For the antique audiophiles on here...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Spadafore on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 11:19 am:

and for lovers of old music.
I came across this site a few days ago and have been enjoying the music of my great-grandparents and grandparents. If you haven't heard of it, it's called the "Great 78 Project" and is being conducted by the Internet Archive. They are a San Fransico-based non-profit that aims to catalog, preserve and digitize old 78 records for future generations to enjoy. They are up to about 50,500 digital audio files that are available to listen to. There is no fee or registration to access the files, and you don't have to download anything. They play right in your browser. I hope you enjoy these as much as I have.

https://great78.archive.org

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 11:42 am:

Wonderful site. When I was a child, my parents had a cabinet full of 78s. One, which was considered pretty risqué for the time, was called The Fishing Song. Although I have a lot of their 78s from that time, I was never able to find that one. Thanks to this this site, I can now listen to it again...

https://archive.org/details/78_fishing-song-mama-wont-let-me-go-fishing-with-you _dottie-barlow-and-boys-tade-fr_gbia0007035a

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Barcelona area (Spain) on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 12:58 pm:

This is a fantastic database of music. I have 200 78s but this gives me a heck of a lot more to listen to!

Thanks for sharing it James.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 06:15 am:

I have 2000 78s and at one time had over 30 crank-up phonographs.
Should've been born 50 years earlier.
James, Thank you for posting this great site!
Now I have background music to browse the MTFCA Forum and classified section.
Here's a photo of my third collection.
The first two phono collections were sold due to two serious illnesses in my immediate family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 07:40 am:

Gene.... Nice-looking Victor orthophonic and Edison cylinder machines. We have a few Diamond disc machines and Amberola 5 6 10 and 30.. any chance that you would be going to Suffern New York next Saturday to the Lafayette Theater with some of the other Model T guys from North Jersey?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 12:00 pm:

Sorry, I'll be in South Jersey visiting family. Enjoy the day!

Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 08:49 pm:

Gene E, Is the upright (viewer's lower right side of photo) a model VV130 with curved sides and front? Gold plating or nickel trim and tone-arm? When I serviced the motor on mine many years ago, I found "1917" chalked inside the cabinet where it may have not seen daylight since new. Guess it must be a hundred years old now.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration