1917 T carburetor what type is it?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1917 T carburetor what type is it?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Barnes on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 09:00 am:

I am attempting to get my late fathers T running by spring to give my 81 yo mom a ride in it. I got it running a couple years ago, but the carb needs rebuilding or replacing. I had to hold the adjustment knob to keep it steady but even at that, I know the needle is worn real bad. Iíve made a feeble attempt to find a rebuilt carb but really didnít try as hard as I should. Any direction anyone can point me to find another one would be greatly appreciated. Hereís a couple pictures of it. Any idea what kind it is.? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Barnes on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 09:06 am:

Apparently my pics are too big. Will attempt to downsize them and post again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 12:58 pm:

250K file size limit per picture. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 01:01 pm:

try here
https://www.modeltford.com/pl.aspx?t=s&v=rebuilt%20carburetor&page=1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Barnes on Monday, May 07, 2018 - 07:45 am:

Update:
Thank you for the responses.
I pulled the carb and found a tag on it that says Kingston L4 but the adjustment on the top appears to be round with two holes and off a Holley 4550.
Is this a usable combination? Will the car run normally if I rebuild it with this set up? If not, what should I replace it with for this engine? I did by the way look up the serial number on the block and identified it as between July 1917 and July 1918

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Monday, May 07, 2018 - 08:03 am:

Yes, that set up is common.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 07, 2018 - 09:51 am:

The "correct" carburetors for 1917-1918 are Holley G and Kingston L-2, if you care about that. My 1915 has an incorrect Ford NH until I get around to rebuilding a G for it. The NH (Ford or Holley) is plentiful (cheap) and easily rebuilt. The MTFCA carburetor book tells you what to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 01:27 pm:

Here are some pictures of an L2 on the left and L4 on the right. The threaded sections on the Kingston and Holley needles are in different places/lengths plus the Kingston needles are longer. The Holley 4550 and G needles interchange while the 4450 or S for 1913 is different. The Kingston needles from the 4 ball to the L4 will all interchange but the top styles are different by year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Barnes on Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 11:19 pm:

Thank you so much for going to all that trouble to help me understand and the information and pictures. Your explanation and differences of the adjustment needles certainly makes sense and why Iím having the issues Iím experiencing. I now know what to do.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration