Old Photo ~ Model TT in the Vieux Carre in 1941

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo ~ Model TT in the Vieux Carre in 1941
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 09:01 am:

Model TT Vieux Carre 1941

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 09:06 am:

Vieux carré, vieux camion.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 06:25 pm:

When I was translating Dick's response, I found "C'est notre bon vieux camion." (She's a good, old truck.)
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 01:36 am:

Well Dick L, I have been curious ever since Vern came along with his interesting location following his name. It didn't take long for me to know about where he was, however the literal translation was beyond my skills in French. Your "vieux camion" was too much to resist. I googled them both (I had pretty much connected "vieux" to "old" because I had some Italian friends many years ago that used "vecch", or "vecchio" in reference to anything old). Now I know that "Vieux Carre" is literally "old square", and that "vieux camion" is literally "old truck" (but I kind of figured that one out from Duey's post). At this rate, by the time I am 150 years old? I may actually be able to speak French!

That is always such a wonderful area to see pictures of (the old sector of New Orleans). About fifteen years ago, My oldest son decided to go on "an adventure". He bought a car in Florida off ebay, and wanted to drive it home. Wanting a little company (and an experienced mechanic), he invited me to go along. We made several tourist stops along the way. The longest by far, was an entire day spent in New Orleans. It was incredible. We rode trolleys, saw riverboats, had lunch on some huge pier right next to one of the docked riverboats (it was a modern one, but out of the corner of my eye it looked good), went through a couple cemeteries, and walked around the old section for nearly two hours (all in one day!). This was about one year before Katrina. To this day, I see photos, both old or current, or watch a movie or TV show set in parts of New Orleans (especially the old section), and recognize buildings, streets, other landmarks, knowing that I had been there.
Wonderful memories. Thank you all.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration