Big day for da Gimp

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Big day for da Gimp
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 09:33 am:

I was set to head to the Northeast Friday night. All afternoon Southwest said “we’re going” until 6 PM and then they said “not”. That late in the game, the best they could do on a replacement flight was Sunday night! OK, we wait.

So I woke this AM, nothing scheduled and decided that today was getting into the Bendix cover on the Hack here in FL and find out why it leaks like a sieve. Not an overly complicated task...unless you have but one good leg and are not allowed to put pressure on the other as the kneecap still has 3 months of “curing” before kit is deemed OK to use. Holy cow...getting on a creeper was a heck of an experience...getting off was a sideshow. Lol. Working from above was also a trick in itself, had to balance on my belly to work.

Anyway...got the cover off after an hour and a half of contortionist work. Got a new gasket out and was going to lather it up, but decided to clean the hogshead surface. Up close and personal from below, (another wild creeper ride), I wonder what this small “boss” is like an inverted donut. Give it a scrape, old double gasket just mushed together! Well guess that’s why it leaks. Unfortunately, looks like the starter side may be the same...groan.

The Suncoast T guys have offered to do this for me, but we can’t get a schedule that works. So I figure I can solo on this...just might take me a bunch of tries...lol...there is hope if you never give up!

I do have a question, the inside of the cover has 2 burnish rings from the spring screws, not grooves, just burnish. The screws are in tight with tabs bent. Guess this is going to have to do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 10:22 am:

If there are "tattle-tales" from the Bendix drive bolt heads rubbing inside, they might be the "too tall head" replacement bolts which can & will eventually wear through the Bendix cover and throw your engine oil OUT !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 10:24 am:

Steve,

Thanks for the heads up...

I did check the heights and they are good...but what I did find in checking is that the screws were not fully seated and the bend tab was not a 90 degree bend.

My guess is that the bolts had backed out a bit over time, reseated them, bent the tabs to full 90, put the cover back on with new gasket and sealant...buttoned all up.

Pleased with myself for completing a task (my son said I should have ADA bars mounted all over the place for such situations since getting up from prone is tough when you can only bend one leg) I then turned on the gas only to find the float had stuck 'down' and a rattle with a wrench didn't free it up....

Got that done...

Gave a few prime 1/4 turns on the crank and turn on the key...no lucky buzz and free start...sticks set right, step on starter...nothing! Battery only read 2.3 volts. Was going to run and get one then decided the w/e was a bust and would wait...(it will start on mag, but with all this karma did I really want to go there?)

I checked in with the other son who also owns a T, told him how my day went and he said "Dad, it's a T...you expected it to go easy?"

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration