Can anyone tell me what year this body is?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Can anyone tell me what year this body is?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 10:47 am:

I think it is Model T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Elliott on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 10:53 am:

It looks to be about a 1925 with the high cowl the rad looks to be 26-27. It looks to be in good shape. Is there any rust?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 11:01 am:

Yes. Model years ‘24-‘25 due to the cowl and passenger door hinges. You didnt’t ask about the fenders but they’re ‘17-‘early ‘23.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 11:10 am:

yes 24-25 but the top edge has been modified.can we get a side pic. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 11:30 am:

Ron, Is this some kind of joke on your part? You have been one of the premier go to fellows here on the forum for Model T information for years and have probably published more Model T information, especially electrical, than the other 99% of us put together and could identify a Model T year with your eyes closed. April fools day isn't for another month! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 02:07 pm:

Michael
You have more confidence that the facts would justify.
If is doesn't have some electricity going through it I am lost. I am helping a friend in Argentina and like Charley Shaver am struggling with what is this thing he has purchased. He wants a wood replacement plans , but I am reluctant to buy them if it is not a Model T body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 02:48 pm:

It is a Model T. But not before 1923 because it has a high radiator. That would make it a 23-25.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 03:22 pm:

Ron,

From the previous posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/822076/842935.html the photo that is causing some of us to question what is going on with that top part around the seat arms and seat backs on that touring is shown again below:

The above shows clearly it is a 1924-25 size firewall (slight changes over the years).

And below we are zoomed in on the front seat section and it as well as the back seat appear in the photo you posted to have a "U" shaped channel around the arms and top of the back rest:

From that same posting, compare your friend's top of the body with the "U" channel to a typical 1921-25 front seat back section shown below which does NOT have that "U" channel (from: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/396711.html?1384456727 [thank you Mark Strange for posting the photos from you 1924 cut off touring that was made into a pickup truck ])

Note the new and second photo you posted does show the seam on the cowl -- which is characteristic of the Model T bodies. While the first photo you posted on the other thread I could not tell if it did or did not have that seam.

A couple of photos that clearly show if the top around the arms and back rest have a "U" shaped channel or that it was just an optical illusion would be a big help.

Also some side shots -- just to make sure someone has not grafted a couple of different bodies together from different car makers.

And again from my previous posting that "U" shaped channel perhaps might be something that was done in Argentina from the factory? (See how the wheel rims were different in Argentina verses the USA style at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/264646.html )

The "U" channel could have been added by someone trying to use the body for a hot rod or someone who didn't have the wood plans or patterns.

The second photo you posted makes it look much more like a standard Model T body with a modified channel around the top -- but I have seen bodies that used parts from different years and/or different car makers.

And it may not be a "U" channel -- that might be an optical illusion in the photo graph?

I look forward to finding out what you discover.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 04:02 pm:

Looks like some good parts were gathered up to make a pretty complete body for a T Touring car in the black era. The front fenders are for the 17- early 23 cars. The radiator shell for a 26-27 era car. The body probably is a 25. All the parts will work and fit together. If they were used lots of folks wouldn't notice the difference except a purist. There are more than a few T's that have the earlier fenders and been restored and people didn't notice the difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 04:19 pm:

I have been watching a lot of the 'Curse of Oak Island' reality show. From the dialogue, I have learned that the stuff they find is "really old." So the body shown is "Holy Moly, it is Really Old."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 05:31 pm:

In the picture of the firewall, I do not see any visible slots for the choke and mixture control. In the same picture, at the back it appears the "black" body has the same "U" channels at the top of each seat back. Just a guess both bodies themselves are not USA made!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 09:03 pm:

I'm trying to consolidate the information in one place/thread. It may or may not work.

Below are the last posting on the previous thread:

++++++ By George Hand on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 05:41 pm:

I would wait on plans on the body, Do not believe that is a model T, I just posted on the other tread about this concerning lack of holes for choke and mixture control, did not pick up lack of holes for the coils, Ron you should have found that!!!

++++++++ By George Hand on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 05:56 pm:
Also looks a pivot for a foot throttle near center of cowl bottom !!

++++++++

Respectfully consolidating

Hap l915 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 09:42 pm:

A few quick comments and questions:

The firewall on the body from Argentina is shown below:

Below is a typical USA firewall

While the top photo is from the engine side and the bottom photo is from the driver's side the reinforcement ridges appear to be the same. The steering column hole and the large hole above it appear to be the same. It also has the hole for the hood rod in the same location of the reinforcement ridges.

As pointed out the top photo is missing the chock hole and the coil box holes. I think the indent for the wiring terminal block is covered by what appears to be a more modern round coil holder and the cargo strap might.

I am hoping we can learn some more about the bodies, firewalls, and even coil boxes on the late 1925 and possibly the early 1926 cars sold in Argentina.

Ron -- if you can have your friend confirm that the body is probably from Argentina, that would be helpful. Or if it is unknown where it is from that would be nice to know also.

I looked for, but I did not find an old thread where someone in South America had a 1925 style body with a 1926 style engine. Most of the posters felt the engine had just been swapped out with the later engine. But over the years since then I have wondered if that country had used the older style 1925 bodies with the later style engines?

For example in Australia they introduced a Dalgety style body in July 1925 but they did not introduce the "Improved USA style open car bodies (still using wood framing and metal panels from Canada) until May 1926. If I could find my files on the new computer... I'm 80% sure from memory that they introduced the new improved wide pedal transmission, lowered front spindles for use on the older Dalgety style Australian body before they switched to the . "USA style / made in Canada body panel style" cars introduced in May 1926 (ref page 221 "Duncan & Fraser Ltd. "Legacies Left Untold see David Chantrell's web site at: http://duncanandfraser.com/ )

I have wondered if that may have been the case in other overseas assembly plants? And if you had a 1926 engine with the coil box mounted over the engine you would not need the holes for the coil box. But that still would not explain why we don't see a choke rod hole.

Anyway, I hope we discover more and I hope I can find my files on which South American country that other car with the 1925ish body and 1926 improved engine was located.

And as requested before -- more photos would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration