OT RESEARCHING HOROPITO MOTOR WRECKERS & DISMANTLERS - SUCH A THING IN SOUTH AFRICA OR AUSTRALIA_

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT RESEARCHING HOROPITO MOTOR WRECKERS & DISMANTLERS - SUCH A THING IN SOUTH AFRICA OR AUSTRALIA_
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 04:54 pm:

Not really off-topic as we've included a photo of a Model T.

Horopito (pronounced horro peeto) is in the central North Island of New Zealand. There's nothing there, other than acres and acres and more acres of old cars dating back to the 1920s.

And that is what makes Horopito famous in New Zealand. They have a website - it is www.horopitomotors.co.nz and I've added some photos below.

I understand there may be several such sites in the United States?

But I am trying to establish if such a thing exists in Australia or South Africa?

To answer those questions, I though I know who will be able to tell us that! The Model T Forum!

Thanks in advance of your answers.

John Stokes
New Zealand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 08:49 pm:

Looks like a restorable, improved T coupe to me. Salivating over the condition of the sub-frame or maybe it's the chewing gum in my mouth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 02:47 am:

I had the chance to meet and talk with old Bill Cole, who set up Horopito. He was a likeable "rough diamond" and could tell you exactly what was on the property and where to find it.

We played a bit of "have you got one of these" and he took us to show it to us.

A loss when he passed on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 05:02 am:

Adrian do you know of a place like this in Australia?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 05:07 am:

Adrian - are you aware of anything similar to this in Australia?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 08:07 pm:

John,
There are lots of wrecking yards similar to the one you have photo's of but I'm not sure they use the same filing system used by Horopito and they usually don't have grass lawn its just red dirt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 08:49 pm:

Just found this,
an Australian magazine Called "Restored Cars" often has articles on junk yards and auctions of collections.

Here are two following magazine issues where the front cover had a shot of an article inside the issue, first one an large Australian junk yard and in next issue, Horopito NZ.
junk Yard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 01:40 am:

The Cooma (NSW) yard was still there a couple of years ago. I drove past it, but could not stop to have a look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 03:46 am:

Thank you Sir Peter Kable (has your knighthood been announced yet?) and I love the reference to the Horopito filing system!

I'll be at Horopito tomorrow and the next day and, even though I've been there before, I suspect this time I will be able to really see the site. I've Googled Cooma for a comparison (clearly they've employed a filing clerk!) and it seems to have a similar environmental location to Horopito: dry, cold in winter, hot in summer. Do you know what land area it may cover? Is it 'rated' amongst those looking for bits and pieces of really old cars?

John

PS - the silly thing is that I have probably driven past it quite a few times on the way from Sydney to Kosciuoszco for a ski (in particular, Thredbo). How our interests (or abilities!) change.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 03:55 am:

Dear Dane,

Google tells me that it is still there. I've just seen a little drone footage.

I have searched Google for an answer to the question 'old car guy driving past old car yard in Cooma - list of excuses to stop'

Inexcusable!

Mind you, I am also guilty (see above).

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 02:54 pm:

LOL, sorry John I don't know Aussie very well but it was you who triggered the "old memory lane" bit :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 03:49 am:

As far as size goes, I would say that the Cooma site is "extensive".

I have found this video clip-
https://vimeo.com/171679476

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration