What mud? - photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: What mud? - photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 10:55 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 11:24 am:

A feature in our local paper is "100 Years Ago in the Traveler". For the past year or two there have been occasional items about new brick paving being laid in various places.

Fortunately a lot of the brick streets have survived.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 01:14 pm:

Thankfully, most of the snow has disappeared! Here are exactly 8,339 Holland pavers! (The T's are down the hill in hiding behind the door to the shop...) Though there is satisfaction by doing something yourself, might cause some back problems?

Take Care; Behave; Stay Warm (and)
"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 04:57 pm:

Marv, They look nice and even. Did you put a concrete base underneath? Just wondering...

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 05:55 pm:

It actually looks like the street is unpaved and the paving bricks are laid probably at a corner crossing to minimize muddy conditions for pedestrians in wet weather.

Marv, that's a really appealing look to your place. I love paving brick !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 06:54 pm:

-Thanks, Keith-
It was a 'years in the making' kind of project... And as we were able to afford it. Built the house, leaving the driveway for the future. Put down crushed blue stone to settle and pack in for eight years until I could rob the bank...:-)
Had to retrieve as much stone as possible from the yard where the snowblower had misplaced it, then leveled the high spots and raked down into the low ones.
Placed the paver order, included a few pairs of masonry gloves, a 5# rubber hammer, a wheelbarrow, and went at it. Started straight from the attached garage, out to the street, and then down the hill for the side drive to the shop. My estimate actually ended up being about 10 pavers 'short', but that got soon corrected.
A long garden hose was washing sand into spaces between pavers once all were down. It took me about two weeks total of my 'spare' time.
-BTW- My first back surgery came after a year-and-a-half...
To envision a black-asphalt/gray-concrete driveway next to a tan house, in a natural setting just did not appeal to me. Aesthetics. "So there I is!" (Or sumptin like dat.)

Take Care; Behave; Stay Warm (and)
"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 07:53 pm:

Marv

As they say in Hockey, 'Ice is slippery!'.

Here is hoping you have great drainage so you never fall and slide all the way down to the street.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 09:09 pm:

Hi Marv, Thanks for the description. The reason I asked if you used a concrete base is we have a brick sidewalk to our front door. It does not have a concrete base and every once in awhile some of the bricks settle and have to be re-set & that's a bummer. The bricks have a sand base and have been in place about 25 years.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 09:26 pm:

-Well, Dave...-
We're built into the backside of a hill. That 'downhill' leads to the shop, so unless there is something major needing to go there, I'll take our lower pathway out to the T's.

My preference is to allow the hockey aspect all to a grandson & son-in-law...

One learning episode.... I'd been leaving the dog outside from upstairs before bedtime. We'd gotten an ice storm during the day, and the dog decided to cross the driveway to 'do her thing'.
Skittering and then stopping in the middle....
Left front outboard, then right front and both rears, now sliding down the drive on her belly...
The eye contact looking back at me was "What the HELL are you doing to me?" I retrieved her downstairs.
And I won't tell you about the 'digger' my tailbone took before doing the lower path...

"Happy T-ing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 10:10 pm:

-Keith & Dave-
There was a contoured 'swale' dug into the lower drive ahead of the shop to handle heavy rain. 5" of rain in 20 minutes did cause some minor flooding and seeping under the big door, getting about two feet in. Rain stopped and then just push-broomed it back outside. Everything else was high & dry, but did choose to have the de-humidifier going.
Without having concrete underneath, some moisture does seep down between the pavers. Professional installers will put down that sand base first. Still, I'd rather pull up a few bricks with a pry bar and do more sand, than have to hire a mud-jacker for the concrete...

"Happy T-ing!" (and)
'Keep on Truckin'

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration