Ford Charcoal Bag

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Ford Charcoal Bag
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 07:41 pm:

In chatting with a friend he threw this at me.
I was surprised it wasn't labeled Kingsford but maybe the in-house stuff wasn't?
Any idea as to its value?

Charcoal Bag

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Guy Forstrom, U. P. of Michigan on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 10:29 pm:

Before Kingsford charcoal there was Ford charcoal. Fords Iron Mountain plant began construction in 1920. Briquetting equipment was added about 1923. There was no town of Kingsford when the plant was built.Charcoal was bagged under the Ford brand name. This continued until 1951 when the Iron Mountain plant closed. A consortium of business people bought the Ford plant, formed the Kingsford Chemical Company and continued bagging charcoal under the Kingsford brand name. The village of Kingsford was formed in 1923, became a City in 1947. See my article written on this subject. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/809617.html
These are some of my bags.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Guy Forstrom, U. P. of Michigan on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 10:47 pm:

As to Value, not real common. I have paid up to $50 for NOS bag

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 11:59 pm:

Thanks guys.
I know the history of Kingsford but wasn't aware of these bags and my friend wasn't either.
Pretty neat piece I think....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 08:30 am:

These were available at Ford Dealers. They came in 2 sizes. This is the larger one

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 09:41 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/809617.html?1511173966

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Guy Forstrom, U. P. of Michigan on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 07:16 pm:

Dan, there were actually three sizes of grills, 10,20,30

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 09:08 am:

Attached is a copy of a pamphlet that is not listed in the above post. Also, is an instruction sheet

On my pamphlet it only shows #10 and #20, apparently #30 came out later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 06:15 pm:

I knew about Kingsford and the Ford connection, but wasn't aware that Ford marketed the briquets and stoves under their name.

Thanks for shedding light on a "burning" subject.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 08:47 pm:

Learn something new every day! Thanks!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration