Beautiful engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Beautiful engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 01:08 am:

Iím looking forward to getting this one running.

But I noticed that thereís a headboard missing. That might give me some trouble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 01:11 am:

If you clean it up the reindeer won't have anything to eat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 01:18 am:

I mean head bolt;)

Steve I trust your expert advice. I will find a way to relocate the dear food;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 01:52 am:

Matt,

Good luck, I was there and get lucky.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 04:54 am:

looks familiar..... Have fun!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 05:10 am:

Matt ; I never had seen an engine so bad on the outside as this , but I also had never seen an engine so good on the inside as this one !!!
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 10:41 am:

Hi Toon, I like your engine stand, Is it possible to you to show a picture from the side of the exhaust and the gas tank?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 10:51 am:

Matt,

Looks like a nice subject for a Richard Eagle painting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 11:01 am:

Hopefully, the missing bolt is just missing but not broken off. if broken, you might have to drill it out. At any rate, be sure to clean out the threads on all the holes with a bottoming tap and blow out the dirt, carbon, and dust before installing new bolts. Good luck on your work.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 11:06 am:

Thanks Jerry, that crossed my mind too.
"The moss is always greener on the other side of the head."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 11:15 am:

This one was inspired by that kind of photo. I should add some moss to it.

There is a beauty to rusty parts that nature has cared for. We all come to the forum for different reasons.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 01:02 pm:

Must be a Pre Aug.'26 engine . Has Ford on the head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 01:26 pm:

Yes but it has the engine mounted coil box, all three of my 26 - 27 engines have ford on the head so I suspect there was a lot of head swapping back in the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 01:42 am:

Thanks for all the nice posts. Nobody seems as concerned as me about the missing head bolt;)

I didnít realize that the Ford Script head stopped with the head mounted coil box.

I love all the before/after photos!

Here are a few more photos.

This is my cars evil twin (see my profile.)

Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman Oslo Norway on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 12:39 pm:

One positive thing is the spark plugs are still there. That may have prevented the rusty mess like i Andreís pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 01:15 pm:

Rolf - I had the same thought about the missing had bolt. If the bolt is "missing" because it is broken off, at least that will mean that the threads in the block will be just fine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 01:51 pm:

It took me a week to get the pistons out.
I first cleaned all the debris and rust out of the top of the cylinders. Than I took all the engine apart and turn it back right up. Filled each cylinder with WD40, set it over a tank and wait till the WD40 was gone on the top and dripped in the tank. Turned the block up side down and took out the pistons with a hard wood stick and a good hammer.
As all was cleaned up I found the pistons cast iron and standard size. After cleaning and measuring the cylinders there was very little wear and I set only new rings on the pistons.
This was 5 year and 10,000km ago and it is still running without smoking or eating oil. I was lucky.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 02:01 pm:

Richard Eagle - Curious as to exactly what type and brand of camera you used for that "photograph" and lens settings? .... (:^) .... harold (:^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman Oslo Norway on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 02:06 pm:

You did a wonderful job with that engine, Andre.
So nice to see the result.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 11:39 pm:

Andre,
All you needed was new rings? That is amazing to have engine that shape with a standard bore!

Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 12:18 pm:

Matt,
The engine was stripped completely and cleaned.
The cleaning was done with steel brushes on a hand drill and an angle grinder. No sand or other blast.
As all was clean I controlled all the parts for use and cracks.
On the mean bearings I only changed the 3rd bearing cap, at one side there was a crack on the side surface.
The valves were changed to be used with the gas of today. At the same time I changed the springs and the tappets.
The transmission had a new clutch and clutch spring. The end bearing was changed by a roller type. As band lining I took Wood.
Together with the new set of rings, a total gasket set this was all I needed to rebuild this engine.
Forgot to tell , I rebuild the magneto coil ring.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 01:56 pm:

Note to Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA:
I use a Sony Cybershot DSC-S950 SteadyShot. I use the "EASY" setting on the dial. The painting was balanced on my Tire tube water tank out in the sunlight and photographed using a 50 year old tripod. Windy days make for quick snaps before the painting blows onto the gravel. This gives me a nice 3.50 MB file I can resize in Photoshop to a 250 KB or less file. Sometimes I adjust the contrast.
As always, thanks for any questions. ?o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 03:30 pm:

Richard, Richard, Richard,..... I was just being facetious,....!!! You take me too literally! I was just trying to say that your painting of the rusty ol' modified "T" engine and related parts scattered all over the wood floor looks so much like a photograph rather than one of your fantastic paintings. And for that matter, so does the unbelievable life-like painting of the Model T era roadside tire repair that you just posted on the other thread.

I can honestly say that I admire your artwork so much that someday, seeing as many as possible of your paintings is very high on my "bucket list"! Idaho is not all that far away, and some day, some tour that takes me over your way,....... (:^) (:^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 04:18 pm:

The answer was in the same vain as the question Harold. I admire the free style, wild use of color and abstraction some folks can put into their paintings. Having made a living as a draftsman my tendency is to lean toward proportional accuracy and detail. Since it is only a hobby I'll live with it. I always try to take the photographic appearance as a compliment. The beauty is in the parts themselves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 04:41 pm:

It gives a sense of satisfaction to see the engine brought back to life :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 10:58 pm:

What a fun thread! :-)
I like the pics of the evil twin car Matt! I have a similar(ish) closed car with way less body.
The little details are still there yet. Very cool.
Those ribbed pedals Adrian. Yessss!
A 19 engine that lives here has those pedals in a cast-iron trans cover too... In Left Hand Drive form.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 07:54 am:

Duey, ditto the fun thread!

Adrian, I agree it does give a satisfaction to bring these old engines back to life! Especially if they lacked attention and service for many years!

Richard, I love your art. It inspired me to make my engine my wallpaper;). Let me know if you would like more content for your future art. I have plenary of rusty junk.

Matthew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 09:18 am:

Thanks for the offer Matt. I have way too much rusty junk. Using it for art seems to help justify not disposing of it.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 09:58 pm:

Rich,
What? You mean we have to justify the rusty junk?

Matthew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 08:39 am:

The stuff does haunt me occasionally. I have parted with things only to find I needed them later. I built my '14 out of stuff I had around the place. When I see the large collections of stuff in the classifieds I hope these things are going to good homes. Most of my stuff is pretty bad and doesn't sell at swap meets anymore.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J and M Machine Co Inc on Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 09:46 am:

We've got you all beat in the "Beautiful engine" Contest.
This one is a Canadian Model T and sat in the mud for 50 years according to original owner as a gift from his Dad,his first car.
Just shows what can be done to save old Iron.
http://www.jandm-machine.com/projects/canadian/projectsCanadianModelT.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 05:12 pm:

Now I take my head off.
Beautiful job, well done.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 11:03 pm:

Well, Matt, does it run good, or not, or does it even turn? The suspense is killin me. Dave in Bellingham, WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 11:46 pm:

Andre,
I suggest that you just take your hat off!

Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 11:55 pm:

Yes Matt,
It is my hat that I take off and bow my head.

Dutch, French and English all together sometimes I loose my head.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 11:59 pm:

J & M,
That looks like a new engine:-)

Hats off to you!

I imagine that would be what would be in store to get this one running!

Matt

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration