Stevens Head Bolt Removal Kit

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Stevens Head Bolt Removal Kit
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Petitjean on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 07:53 am:

Does anyone have experience with the Stevens Head Bolt Removal Kit? Any tips or advice (other than don't break head bolts - too late for that).

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3003T.aspx

MattBroken Bolt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 10:23 am:

I bought the one you show in your link a few months ago. Had to purchase the correct size drill bit. It worked out just fine, was able to get the old bolt out pretty easily. Once you drill it out, try an easy out before you use the tap. I was able to unscrew out the remains of the bolt after drilling.

On another note, I had to slightly enlarge the hole going through the head for the tool to fit.

Best of luck,

JOe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 10:37 am:

My wording in my original post was out of order, let me try again.

The correct drill bit was to drill and enlarge the hole in the head on the bolt that needed drilling out, so the tool would fit. Then place the head on and snug it down, start to drill very slowly to ensure your going down the center of the broken bolt. The tool works just great, as I stated, try an easy out after you drill, you might be able to back the broken bolt threads out of the hole, as I was able to.

Best of luck, I had two broken bolts and with the use of this tool was able to get them out successfully, one the threads unscrewed very easy, the other hole, I had to run the tap through.

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Petitjean on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 11:05 am:

Joe
Thanks for the tips. Very helpful. Fortunately this one is in an OK spot to drill (just above water outlet). I am still soaking the one under the firewall (1914). I would prefer that one doesn't snap.

Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 04:50 am:

If I had to remove a broken head bolt, this is how I would do it. Drill a hole in the bolt, preferably a fairly large one. Then heat the bolt from the inside with a small oxy/acetylene torch tip, 00, or 000, as hot as you can without melting it. Do that two or three times, letting it cool completely each time. That will shrink the bolt and break down any rust that may be there. Then use a SQUARE easy out, NOT the spiral kind, they just spread the bolt locking it in even tighter. If the bolt is sticking up above the block, something can be welded to it to screw it out. If the bolt has just been sheared and not twisted off(not likely), it may come out with a left handed drill bit. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 07:45 am:

Great tips for the future, thank you! Cheers, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Spyker on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 08:33 am:

If you can drill the broken portion? Drill a small deep hole about 1/3 of the bolt diameter into the center of the remainder, remove all chips and lube with oil. Pull the wooden handle off a flat file. Insert the tang into the hole, tap the end of the file with your smallest hammer. Don't pound on it, just enough to let the file corners dig in. Place an 8 inch adjustable wrench on the file flat, turn while keeping downward pressure on the file.
Pushtruck. 30 miles south of Hershey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Petitjean on Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 06:05 pm:

Made good progress. I used the Stevens drill and guide just to get it started and find a good center. Then I drilled down the center of the bolt and used a square easy out. Pair of vice grips and it turned out.

Thanks for the tips.

Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 06:26 pm:

i use a wire welder, a lot easier. charley

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration