OT - Dick’s Classic Garage Car Museum San Marcos, TX

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - Dick’s Classic Garage Car Museum San Marcos, TX
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 09:14 am:

If you are looking for something to do in San Marcos there is a Museum there with an original Tucker with 8 miles on it. We were treated to the collection last week. Only one T but a curved dash Olds, A Napier touring with a wicker body and some very nicely restored classics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 09:53 am:

Thanks for the publicity Richard. Dick Burdick died last week - in his ninetys. We’re only about 15 miles away and have no connection to the museum but I like to visit there occasionally. He had another, larger museum that had a dispersal sale about 6 years ago south of Bastrop, TX. He also won the Great American Race twice in a very early Bentley and a very early Hudson. Both of these cars are in the San Marcos museum . Then he bought the Race from Interstate Batteries.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 11:24 am:

Well this is more timely that I thought. I knew nothing of him or the museum previously. This is most likely the Hudson. Thanks for the info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 12:17 pm:

GREAT PICTURES! Thanks for sharing them. What Model and year was the "T"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 12:25 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 12:55 pm:

The Model T was a unrestored '26-'27 Coupe. Much like many we have seen. The dash was all that I took a picture of. This has a listing of the cars there if any of you are interested:
http://www.dicksclassicgarage.com/cars
And this has better photos than mine:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g56618-d1838104-Reviews-Dick_s_Cla ssic_Garage-San_Marcos_Texas.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 01:02 pm:

Thanks for the pics. Enjoy viewing anything automotive related.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 08:58 pm:

We can get nearly any part new for our Model T's. I'd hate to be trying to restore a Tucker! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 12:34 am:

Fantastic photos! Thank you.
That Olds is beautiful!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 03:40 am:

Very interesting. Does anyone know the story behind this car in the first batch of photos?

It looks like a Napier, but I might be wrong, however it is sporting a red number plate that looks remarkably like it has come from Victoria, Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 05:16 am:

Several years ago, there was a museum in Shreveport La. that had a Tucker. It was behind a store front window you could see it from the street. There was a ownership dispute and one of the guys tried to get away with it. The Tucker ran out of gas before he got very far, and on the side of the road, made a big TV story. As I remember they arrested him. The Tucker never made back to the museum for display. It was gold colored and it also had a spare engine displayed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 07:35 am:

Dane, I did a search "1911 Napier Garden Car" that brought up several pictures of it. There was a car on one of the transcontinental Tours in the '70s that was similar. I am trying to find out if this is the same car.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 08:11 am:

That's another Bingo. The car was on the 1972 Trans-International Reliability Tour sponsored by VMCCA. The Sept-Oct Bulb Horn states; "The "Basket Case" (1911 Napier) of Bayard Sheldons was an eye-catcher. Its graceful wicker body and wooden fenders left only the hood made of metal. The Sheldon crowd, with their friends and relations coming and going, were certainly a rugged group. They had no windshield and practically no top, but survived the cold, rain and blistering heat without a complaint."

That Tour was from Montreal to Tijuana. They spent one night here in Idaho falls. A fellow named Millard Newman organised these tours in 1968 and some were close enough to go and see them come through. In 1968 we went to Salt Lake City where they paraded the Thomas Flyer around town. These were for original pre-1915 cars and Before Interstate Battery's "Great American Race".
Rich

(Message edited by rich eagle on March 06, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 12:02 pm:

You”re RIGHT Dane. It’s a 1911 Napier that came from Australia. With a wicker body and wooden fenders it began life on a large cattle “station” ( read ‘ranch’) and was used mainly for the owner’s daughters to go out and pick flowers. When I used to come across Dick Burdick, I liked to remind him he has the best antique auto museum in Hays county and I have the largest antique auto museum in the adjoining - Caldwell county. Of course mine never held a candle to his. It’s definitely worth a visit..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 06:37 pm:

Here's a Tucker story for you:

There was a man down the street from me when I was a kid -- probably about 12 or 13 -- who collected cars. The man was like a second father to me. Although I always had an interest on old cars, he made me realize there were still survivors!

Anyway, a friend of his had a farm and this man also collected cars. Well, my neighbor and I would go out to visit this man with the farm.

While they went off and talked, I'd explore the outbuildings where this man had a bunch of old cars. I'd sit in them and play or pretend I as driving them. I had my pick of cars.

One in particular that I really liked had this sort of greenish paint on it and, I dunno, the styling really appealed to me.

Little did I realize at the time that the car I was playing in was a Tucker!!!

I'd love to know where that car is now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 09:04 pm:

That is amazing Marty. "Only 51 cars were made before the company ceased operations on March 3, 1949." I had to look it up as I heard various stories. What are the chances?
Nice to hear.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 11:48 pm:

The Power of the Internet!!~

I enquired via the president of the Veteran Car Club here. He sent out to various contacts and got this information back re the Napier.-------------

/i{Hi again all,

In reference to the number 157 on the plate, I suspect it was a Victorian permit number.

The 1968/69 register only lists permit numbers up to about 140.

Register for 1973 lists permit numbers up to 170 with and obvious gap between 156 and 158.

This all leads to me to speculate that the vehicle was given a permit in Victoria when it arrived for the 1970 Bicentennial Tour.

It used that number (157) whilst it was here. As the vehicle went back to the US following the Tour, the permit was never renewed and the plate wasn’t handed back.

It will have been on the car ever since.

Greg is spot on about the owners. The Bayard Sheldon’s also participated in the car in the 1972 Trans-International Reliability Tour from Montreal to Tijuana.

Apparently it no windscreen on that rally either. The car is often referred to as the "The "Basket Case”.

As an aside, the owner of the museum where the image was taken, Dick Burdick, died last week.

Cheers, DM}
------------------------------------------

Very many thanks for members who contributed to this thread, it is amazing how much knowledge appears when asked for.
Dane.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 02:08 am:

Great images of a small museum worth visiting.

Great story ....

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 02:10 am:

Museum website link:

@ http://www.dicksclassicgarage.com/about-us

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard H.Miller on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 02:19 am:

Great photos thx for posting them for our viewing pleasure!

Rick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration