Repairing top bow assembly advice

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Repairing top bow assembly advice
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 04:51 pm:

So, Iím finally working on the top bows for the Ď23. The front bow is a little rough. In particular, the stamped steel casing that holds the straight and curved wood is cracked on both sides, though there is still solid steel in between .. visible below on the flat area.

I thought the stamping was toast and that I would need to find a better used piece, but after whacking out the rivets and wrangling out the straight wood bow I think the metal there is actually beefy enough to be used, just needs some careful welding. Iím assuming this is a common weak spot on this piece. Does the typical repair for this also include reinforcement.

Bow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 05:07 pm:

MIG weld. Grind smooth inside & out. Back it up with a strip of 18 gauge welded inside. If necessary take a little bit out of the tack strip so it will fit around the back-up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 05:14 pm:

Mark, check your email- I sent you some pics of my top...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 05:22 pm:

Tim, Yes .. I did .. thanks. Did you have to repair this area on your bows?

Steve, Thanks for the tip on reinforcing the repair. Looks hard to get down in there to find clean steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 05:54 pm:

No, I was lucky to get some refurbed bows from the late Mr. Daron a week before his passing...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 04:29 am:

Mark, if you can, media blast that area inside and out, that will be better than grinding it. As Steve said, use a Mig to weld it, but I would grind/bevel the outside of the crack so the weld will tie into the back up strip. That will make the joint even stronger. Also make the back up strip a bit longer on each side of the crack to help spread out the stress on the joint. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 04:32 am:

That crack is very repairable. Any decent welder can fix you up in a jiffy. :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 10:12 am:

Soak those common sense screws with lots of penetrating oil. Those sockets are threaded for a #5-40 screw, which should be brass. I don't understand those other two holes next to the top clamp though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 10:19 am:

the other two holes next to the top clamp are rivets to hold the top bow in

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration