VIDEO: How to Lubricate your Model T :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: VIDEO: How to Lubricate your Model T :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitch Taylor on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 08:54 pm:

Greetings fellow Model T'ers!

After many requests, I've (finally) made a video about lubricating your Model T...

Ford Model T - Oil, Grease & Lubrication
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZM5S3aRDAg

Don't forget to join us on Facebook :-)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/modeltford/

... And have a look my website too :-)
https://www.fordmodelt.net

Happy motoring :-)
- Mitch Taylor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 09:18 pm:

No play. Error. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 09:29 pm:

It plays on my Windows 10 tablet. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Burg on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 09:32 pm:

It played fine here, thanks Mitch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 10:33 pm:

When in doubt, restart your computer. Playing now. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 12:06 am:

Devilish computers. Mine says it doesn't support HTML5.
Ooh! I'll try it on my phone!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 09:26 am:

OK as far as it went. No oilcan? zerks all over the car, no spring leaf lube. The car looked like it had not been lubed since it left the factory. But ok,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 11:51 am:

The audio has an Australian accent but it plays okay on my desktop.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 12:19 pm:

Many thanks, Mitch, for posting.
I found you on YouTube a while back and subscribed. Have enjoyed and learned from all of your videos.
I am so appreciative of folks like you and Steve Jelf who have been so generous in sharing your time, expertise and resources

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 01:14 pm:

Those painted over Zerks need to be replaced , the paint keeps the grease from going in. Also the hand brake shaft has an oiler hole on the inside of the frame rail between the two bolts that hold on the bracket. it's just a simple hole in the bottom of the frame , sometimes you will find a felt wick there . Most of the time restores miss the hole. Mine were clogged with road dirt so I removed the and cleared the oil holes in the bracket. Just a thought Mate , good job over all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 08:02 am:

Does a '25 not have the provision to oil the rear of the generator? My '21 does. Although it would be difficult to do by pouring oil from a cap. What about the rear wheel outer bearings? I try to lube my door hinges and latches moving parts occasionally. Any moving parts or hinges/joints need attention. Also, it should be pointed out that brush type timers, like my New Day do not need oil or grease.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 08:15 am:

Tommy,

All Model T generators originally came with oilers on the rear cap. When they're rebuilt, a sealed bearing is often used. Some guys then remove the oiler and some rebuilders have a screw that looks like an oiler that is non functional.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 09:46 am:

Those old school oil cans with the stem like in Wizard of Oz that may or may not have a pump on them is what I use for the spring hangers. You can find those at garage sales and such. Super convenient.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 10:27 am:

This is a handy tool. You see it at swap meets, usually priced from $20 to $80 depending on condition and who's selling. The one I bought at Hershey last fall was $2.

I agree with Tommy about oiling or greasing all the moving parts (latches, linkages, etc.). Many are not listed on the lube charts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 11:52 am:

Neat picture Steve with the car hood in the backround

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman Oslo Norway on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 12:14 pm:

Just wondering about the steering case. Isnít it possible to undo the top cover without removing the steering wheel. Just un screw the little lock screw and unscrew the hole assembly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nunn on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 01:23 pm:

Rolf, you are correct. The pinion comes out with the cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 06:55 pm:

I like oil cans. Guess that's why I have about a dozen of 'em. No "FORD" cans though, yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 07:47 pm:

Also missed, is the Grease cups on the rear axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitch Taylor on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 06:43 pm:

Thanks for all the positive comments, it genuinely inspires me :-)
I will keep you guys updated with more videos soon :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 09:49 pm:

Mitch, Not to be a nit picker but the front spindle bolts should have oil cups not zerk fittings. Grease cannot get down to the bottom joint of the spindle but oil will run down the outside of the spindle bolt to lubricate the lower joint. From what I have read here on the forum a lot of us are using chainsaw bar oil it's quite tacky and doesn't run off as quickly as just plain old oil. If I am wrong in this statement I'm sure someone will correct it. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 10:06 pm:

Jim is right on both counts. Spindle bolts should have oilers, and lots of folks use chain saw oil that will last better than motor oil.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration