Driving plate rivets

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Driving plate rivets
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 12:07 am:

It looks like I am going to replace the rivets on my 26 driving plate.
My guess is peening the rivets when they are red hot would be the best method.
How would I verify the alignment after replacing the rivets?

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 12:45 am:

No need for heating. Rivets from the vendors are soft, as they should be, if the holes are not out of round It will center itself. Care needs to be taken to assure the shaft and the plate are flush. I use my press to hold together on a fixture for a buck. Small hammer and lots of strikes, You will need to machine of some off the peened rivets for clearance on the back side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 12:51 am:

Dave

I forgot about this video we did on replacing drums. may give you some ideas. good luck
http://modelt-tips.com/Transmission/01.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 05:28 am:

Dave, if you are replacing loose rivets, I would suggest doing them one at a time. That way you need not worry about keeping things in line. My preference is to hot rivet them, and this is easier if you have help. One fellow heats the rivet sitting on the buck and the second person lowers the drum over the rivet and sets it.

Others will do it differently.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 10:06 am:

Why not just buy a 26-7 driving plate?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 10:56 am:

Thanks guys,
Larry, if I purchase a used 90 year old driving plate it will likely have 90 year old rivets

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 11:30 am:

Dave E.,

I agree with Mike Bender, no need for heat. It only complicates the procedure and is not needed.

90 year old rivets are just fine, as long as they're tight yet. You're replacing yours only because they're loose, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 11:36 am:

Check the plate for cracks, most are cracked between the rivet holes. This is from flexing of a misaligned pan. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 11:55 am:

The rivets on the drive plate should not come in contact with anything. There is clear space on both sides so no need to face them.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration