Grease fittings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Grease fittings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 09:52 am:

I am rebuilding the rear axle for my roadster. I observed when I removed the driveshaft, there was not a lot of grease in the yoke area, which surprised me. I would have guessed, I would have applied a cups worth of grease in that area, since I bought the car, but there was nothing more than a sign of grease in there. I have been faithful in greasing these two fittings with every oil change. But I also admit, it does not happen as often as it should, as I must remove the rubber floor mat (bit of a pain), then the floor boards.

I am thinking about adding two remote zerks, so this area gets greased more often. I am thinking of making a bracket that would be located near the frame rail near the carb, under the hood, mostly out of sight.

Has anyone done anything like this? Any downfalls anyone can think of. I do drive this car a lot in the summer.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 10:02 am:

Why can't you just give the grease cup a few turns once a week? Seems to me like you are trying to create a big problem. Ford made fifteen million of these cars, and they seemed to have done pretty good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 11:42 am:

Jason,

Oil leaks from the back of the engine and washes out the grease. Grease more frequently. An old friend of mine liked to install his torque tubes upside down and rotate the retaining ring 180 degrees so the grease cup hung upside down. He found it easier to grease it, (and the driveshaft grease fitting), from underneath. (He also used a zerk fitting)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 12:04 pm:

I hold the grease gun nozzle down in the bottom of cup and pump away. Its amazing how much grease you loose from washout as Jerry stated.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration