Top Bow Irons Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Top Bow Irons Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 03:17 pm:

Are the front top irons identical or is there a distinct right and left. It's hard to tell on mine as they are cracked and slightly bent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 03:38 pm:

Pretty sure they're identical, no left or right. See some pics of mine in the recent "top dilemma" thread. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 03:46 pm:

Mark, there is a left and a right because of the way the windshield clamps mount to the bow. Theoretically they could be turned over and new holes drilled...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 04:06 pm:

There are differences between left and right on most years of front top bows. On the one man top the screw holes for the front clamps are different. Also the socket for them to fold into are on different sides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 04:10 pm:

Thanks for the correction, I forgot about the front clamp holes. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 04:29 pm:

Mark S., your photos and postings were very helpful when I did my top last year, thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 04:40 pm:

Maybe were talking a out some other year. The mounting holes are identical on both sides of these irons. Having trouble downloading pictures from my phone right now .. will try later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 05:32 pm:

Ok ... here is the end of one of my top irons. I put an X on one side to show that its the same piece in both pictures.

All the holes and fittings are the same on both sides. The only difference I can see is that the upper part leans one way or the other ... which looks to me like warping ... not manufacturing. I dunno.

Bows

Bows

Bows

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 05:58 pm:

Mark, you're right about the top end being the same either way. But look at the bottom ends. All pieces are either left or right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 06:07 pm:

Steve, that looks like a touring top. The runabout is different.

Mark, the mounting holes for the windshield clamps are the only things that make a left and a right...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 07:06 pm:

Tim, The holes are identical as illustrated in my earlier post so the brackets can be mounted on either side. And the brackets also look identical. Interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 08:37 pm:

This is your right side bow..

If you put it on the left side the clamp will be upside down. Not a big deal really because you could re-drill the bow.

I hope I'm not confusing the issue...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 08:40 pm:

Oh, I see now. There's a hole on each edge! Well I guess they are the same!

I looked on my car and the rest of the bow doesn't come into play so your good to go in your search for another bow...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 09:02 pm:

LOL ... you had me going there for a minute. So, now you see what I'm seeing. Those brackets with the wing nut are also identical. They can be put on either side since there is an oblong hole on each side of the sheet metal frame that surrounds the wood. So ... the slight twist in the sheet metal must be from torquing the frame where the wood bow inserts.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration