Are these any good?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Are these any good?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 08:00 pm:

Are these really helpful when changing clincher tires on my '14? And what would be a fair price?

Thanks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Original-Wheel-Tire-Bead-Breaking-Tool-Very-Goo d-Used/192474456782?fits=Make%3AFord%7CModel%3AModel+T&hash=item2cd05f22ce:g:fOA AAOSw2LZangXi&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 08:07 pm:

I have a similar one and I find it useful. I use it more for old tire removal than new tire installation. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 10:21 pm:

Three long tire irons from Harbor Freight ($19.50) work for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 11:58 pm:

It sure is. -I use mine all the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 12:03 am:

I have a crippled spine, so anything that multiplies my leverage without straining anything is a big help. -For peeling a tire off a rim, this tool really does the job. -You should also go to your local hardware store and pick up a pair of jumbo-sized C-clamps. -They are also great tire-tools.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 01:15 pm:

Martynn Vowell had one and used it on Derrick Pangs Runabout with very ancient tires on it. Helped very much at those hard, stiff tires of the rims for tube replacement. squeezed the tires together for easier removal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 06:57 pm:

Thanks, all. But, any idea what a fair price might be?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 10:28 pm:

They're fairly rare, except at places like Hershey. -I think I paid something like $75 for mine. -If it winds up costing more than that, well... it's still the kind of thing you'll only buy once.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robin Pharis on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 09:59 am:

I have one too, I like it for breaking the beads

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 12:16 pm:

C-clamps work or check Harbor Freight for bead breaker tool. For the HF type the wheel or rim would have to be off the car.
https://www.harborfreight.com/bead-breaker-92961.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 06:21 pm:

Mark, Thanks and I went to your link, but, I was looking for something to take on tours, just in case.

Thanks all. You helped me make a decision.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 06:25 pm:

It's called a Marquette Tire Tool manufactured in St. Paul, U.S.A. - I have an original sales brochure for it - I haven't mastered the process, yet !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 08:11 pm:

Here's a couple ads for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 05:17 pm:

Thanks, Steve. Are they hard to use? Any harder than without the tool?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 05:35 pm:

They are clearly made to mount & de-mount the tire on the car - de-mounting is pretty straight forward - I haven't had the opportunity (Lord have mercy!) to repair a flat on the '14 Touring to try it !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 08:12 pm:

A lot also depends on how hard the rubber is. Most of this these type of tools (my OP) were made for tires that were a lot less stiff then later tires. Might work fine for fresh tires, maybe not so well for aged ones. (referencing the vintage tool shown)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration