'26/'27 Coupe visor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: '26/'27 Coupe visor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip Anderson on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 02:21 pm:

Need a little help. Was the visor totally covered with fabric or were the ends exposed and painted? Have seen both but do not know what is correct. Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 03:12 pm:

Do you have a wood frame visor?
A steel visor?
Don't have a visor yet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip Anderson on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 03:26 pm:

Vern, I have a steel frame without fabric.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 03:33 pm:

This discussion may or may not help. It is a discussion and the only one I could find.
Rich

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/122853.html?1264902531

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 03:46 pm:

There are two options for the steel frame 1) skeletal, or 2) solid steel panel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 03:58 pm:

Skip: The '26/'27 coupe visor was covered with fabric, including ends and then sewn as shown in J Patrick Jan 27, 2010 post cited by Richard. Jim P is missing the metal clips that go on the underside of the visor near each end to prevent the sag in the fabric on the underside corner visible in the second and third pic. A cursory check of repro visor frame and cover kits indicates that the 'clip' may not be part of the new repro's. My original '26 coupe definitely has the clips. best, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip Anderson on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 04:00 pm:

Thanks guys. I have the skeletal style and I was directed to the McCalley book showing many pictures of the visor. Totally covered was correct. Thanks for your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 08:41 pm:

Skip, totally covered is correct. I have an original with all of the original material with one 1 inch tear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 10:13 am:

Yep, that was the next question: original or reproduction. I'm glad Big L has covers for both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 10:53 am:

Photo No 3 shows the clips;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-T-Sun-Visor-Frame-26-27/292468282629?hash=item441 877d505:g:QWYAAOSwXOVaWmED&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 11:14 am:

When mine was original, it was not stitched in the 3 panel areas between the frame. Only stitched around the edges. Before recovering yours, look closely at the frame's leading edge piece. That's where they rust out and break, especially if you trailer at 70mph on a windy day... like I did. I completely replaced that piece with a solid piece of 1/2 round steel that I reshaped to the original contour and welded in place.

That frame on eBay is real buy! Those are super scarce to find in useable condition. I think the reproductions are really intended for Model A's and aren't 100% right for a T, or so I've been told.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 12:06 pm:

There are 2 more currently on ebay. Search "Model T sun -fits" As far as I know, the T and A would both have stitching around the inside of the 3 holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 01:14 pm:

Mark,

Not saying some weren't like that, but my '26 Fordor was not stitched inside the 3 holes. Maybe a 1927 thing??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 02:30 pm:

Here's the reproduction:
https://cdn.modeltford.com/i/c/2885211l.jpg
But does anyone have the original piece dimensions? length, width, hole size, spacing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 03:12 pm:

This era photo has been posted before and shows the stitching between the openings. Fender mounted lights, so early-to-mid '26?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip Anderson on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 04:27 pm:

Great info. Thanks again everybody.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 08:00 pm:

I wouldn't think Ford would have stopped stitching (?)for a bit then picked it up again for the Model A's. Some of the visor covers (Model A) for replacement come with fake stitching on both sides and are glued together when installed. Jerry could it be that the covering for the visor was replaced sometime in the past 91 years and not stitched?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 09:41 pm:

I have had 3 26 _27 coupes all were covered and sewn closed on the ends. I saw one that the metal on the ends was exposed..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip Anderson on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 09:30 am:

Thanks Tim. I have seen a coupe and sedan with exposed and painted ends. No stitching. The bent tabs were covered so a small amount of the exposed painted ends were visible. Next time I will take a photo. That is why I had to ask.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration