More Rear-End-Rebuild Help Needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: More Rear-End-Rebuild Help Needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 05:14 pm:

Still involved with my Ruckstell rebuild here. Now, the task is replacing the bent outer "brake hub casting" of my left side axle housing. The right side had a bent tube and that was no problem, as I had other rights to pick from. I am trying to remove a good outer casting from another axle tube that is pretty trashed on the inside from running the bearing thru the sleeve.

My plan was to remove this good one, remove the bent casting off of the Ruckstell tube, and rivet the good one back on there. I can't get it off the tube. I own a full-on welding shop and expected this to be a few hours' task this afternoon as the snow blasted down here in New Jersey today. After drilling and punching the rivets out I put heat to the casting and one I heard movement occurring, proceeded to beating on it by sliding a heavy slug of brass along along the tube and smacking the edge of the cast. Nothing budged. I repeated this numerous times.

Were this put on the tube red hot? I need a game plan. I've got two removals to do and the one install.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 08:01 pm:

How bent is your backing plate? Ford (and I think some Ruckstell) backing plates were some form of cast steel. Generally, they can be straightened (I use heat on those), and I have welded pieces onto them several times when they were broken or the bottom ground off from a wheel loss. The big concern here, is how badly damaged, and where is the damage? You do not want to weld one where the weight is transferred from spring to axle housing. And I have never seen that area damaged or bent enough to need welding unless it was so severe that the end had to be replaced anyway.

I did repair a Ruckstell housing once that the backing plate was of a poor quality steel casting, and quite damaged. Someone else had tried to weld it first, with failed results. We changed it to a Ford backing plate, but let me tell YOU. THAT sucker was tough to get off the housing tube!!! LOTS of heat, pressing, hammering, you name it. It took half a DAY to get that thing apart without damaging the housing tube. It was a fairly early Hall-Scott housing end. I would still like to make one more serious try to repair it if I ever have enough time to get any kind of work done again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 06:58 am:

The bend isn't terrible but it makes the brake cam sit off of square. If you think I can just just heat that casting up and caress it back into position, I'm all for it. I was reading older posts and it seems that the tube is pressed into those castings with a whole lot of force.... like a 50 ton press. Not something I want to do on a Rux housing. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 10:03 am:

Wayne. Thanks a million for that advice. I has able to heat that area of the T 25D casting and move that brake cam flange around to exactly where it needed to be. That was the best path of repair by far.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration