OT. Apparently paying for your new Lincoln in the 1920's was an option some didn't like!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT. Apparently paying for your new Lincoln in the 1920's was an option some didn't like!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 11:32 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 08:49 am:

I've always said "Why steal a Model T when you can steal a Lincoln". [;o)==

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 09:25 am:

I always heard Lincolns were a favourite of gangsters and bootleggers.
I guess they figured if they were good enough for Ness, Rico and Youngblood.........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 09:40 am:

The biggest thing about cars from the 20's right up to the early 70's is you did not need to be a rocket scientist to hot wire them. It wasn't until the invention of the factory locking steering wheel that first deterred any small time hood. A simple wire from the battery to the coil and then depending on which car it was just a matter of jumping the starter. Today's cars you almost need a PHD just to open the hood! Oh, And no I never stole a car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 10:08 am:

Stealing cars . . . a friend showed me a book not long ago of reprints of "old West" wanted posters. As inter-agency law enforcement bulletins were a 20th century innovation for the most part, the reprints dated from 1900-1917. Probably half noted automobile theft as a major offense along with horse thieving and cattle rustling. Old style bad-men were making an easy transition into the motor age.

Will, you imply that steering locks are a late development. I had a '29 Buick with a steering column lock, a feature I believe was introduced on that make in '26 (?). Prior to that, Buick offered a lock on the transmission. I'm not sure of the years, but Ford V-8s 1934,'35 at least, also had steering column locks. I don't know what other makes used them, but I'll bet there were more than a few.

There are dozens of devices offered to Model T owners over the years to provide some kind of theft security. I guess grand theft auto has always been a problem . . . I wonder when the first horseless carriage was stolen ? No one got away with Henry's quadricycle anyway. ; )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 12:29 pm:

Today I think a model T is safe from most thieves. If they manage to get it started without knocking teeth out or breaking and arm, they have to figure out how to drive the darn thing. And who are they going to out run in a T? A bycycle cop maybe. Watch out for your T buddys tho!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 12:30 pm:

Bicycle!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linus Tremaine on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 12:41 pm:

Just for fun, the lincoln owners club serial number registry that I maintain for the club does not have any of these cars listed. We have only about 1% survival rate for model L lincolns which is pretty low.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 12:46 pm:

My 26 Buick has both a steering wheel lock and a transmission lock, I don't have a key for the transmission lock but I'm told it could either lock the transmission in low or reverse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 03:20 pm:

For whatever it is worth? My '27 Paige has a steering column lock. That made for some fun when my dad bought it fifty years ago. Steering was locked, and key hadn't been seen in about a decade. Fortunately, in those days, there were still some really good old locksmiths around.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration