Repairing KRW Boring frames?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Repairing KRW Boring frames?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 05:49 am:

Anyone here ever repoured and bored KRW Frames? Thanks, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 09:57 am:

Dan
Interesting question, and I havenít done it. A thought crossed my mind that perhaps the bulk of the wear could be in the shaft? Perhaps making a new shaft will rescue the unit?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 10:14 am:

Les: The "bearings " for the boring shafts are Babbitt and I have one that shows some wear. (Shaft moves in the bearing). Shaft mikes the same all the way. wear is in the bearings. I was thinking about taking a scarp engine block, making bronze "bearings" for the mains to fit a small(5/8") shaft to bore out the frame bearings.
I was wondering if anyone else had done it? No need to reinvent to wheel. Thanks, Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 11:29 am:

I had a job done with a well used KRW frame The craftsman doing it was in poor health the experience was not good I did learn how not to do some parts of main boring. Bought the Gene French set up----watched Mike Benders tips many times using it. My opinion is its a waist of effort and green on todays line boring issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 11:59 am:

Dan I am sending you an PM with the name of someone that might be able to help. I have not used one but know at least two people that do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Cress on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 12:03 pm:

Dan: I have repaired a KRW boring frame using the same the process you are considering. I fitted a block with brass bushings to support a new boring bar while it was used to bore out the original frame. I then machined and press fit brass bushings into the frame bores. The repaired unit has performed very well for many years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 02:44 pm:

Dan:
I have re-conditioned 3 KR Wilson linebore frames in the past for customers ...I feel that the 3 bearing frame is fine for roughing the bearing diameters prior to the REAMING process ...to use this unit for boring is a poor choice since the front bearing is bored by an unsupported section of the boring bar ...though ,with a very fine finish cut you can use for finish boring ...I poured the bearings in the 3 bearing frame and then linebored on my boring fixture ...you could also bore the existing Babbitt oversize and fit 3 bronze bushings to the "new" bore ...always an optimist...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 06:48 pm:

I use my good frame for only rough boring. I have STD, .010,.020, .030 reamers in T and A for the final bore. I have an extra frame that needs repair for an extra Combo machine. Thanks, Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 07:22 pm:

After re reading my post above it sounds like my opinion of Gene French set up is poor---its not-- I am very pleased with the quality and accuracy of the boring Job.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration