Glidden Era Road Repairs - A Painting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Glidden Era Road Repairs - A Painting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 01:39 pm:

Acrylic on canvas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 01:42 pm:

Wow Richard, that's great! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 02:07 pm:

Another fantastic painting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 02:15 pm:

WOW!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 02:22 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 02:58 pm:

Another fabulous masterpiece. If you start running out of wall space, my staircases could use a few pieces of fine art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 03:07 pm:

Incredible! I admire your artistry, skills, vision, all amazing! It looks so real in so many ways, I feel I could just walk over and lend them a hand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 06:25 pm:

Richard, I am completely blown away by your skill and artistry!!!!!

Your use of color and shading is remarkable. When I first saw this painting, I thought it was a photograph.

Would love to have you post pics/vids of your process.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 06:48 pm:

Richard, beautiful. Thank you for posting your fabulous work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 06:59 pm:

Richard,

Words from my mind and mouth cannot describe your talent correctly, so I will only say; Thank You
for your talent and sharing with the Model T world.

Your paintings are truly Eye Candy for everyone to enjoy!

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 07:01 pm:

Thank you all. The process is mainly carefully laying everything out in pencil. I work from photos and often scale them. I look at dozens of pictures on the internet to get proportions and colors as correct as possible. I also have a lot of pieces around the basement a garages that give me information. The Red inner tube shown here helped even though I'm not sure if tubes were red that early. There is tremendous information in some of the forum photos. Much of the magic comes accidentally and often the painting is working me rather than me working the painting. It is a lot more fun than mowing the lawn or shoveling snow.

Yesterday a lady asked if I gave lessons. I told her I should take some. I am pretty much self taught.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 08:31 pm:

Good grief man. That's beautiful.
NOW I see why some fellas think your paintings are actually old photographs.
It's high noon, a light breeze is blowing, the standing man's coat shows this and the flora won't settle enough to take a picture.
It looks like a colorized photograph.
IF I had any sense at all, I'd grab it and save it on a flash drive!
Hehehe! Flash drives and the Glidden tours in one thought! :-) Whoda thunk? :-)
Thank you for sharing this!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 08:37 pm:

Except for the red tubes, I've been there. You got it right. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 08:58 pm:

As a wallpaper a few minutes ago on my desktop. Rich, is it OK I tried this?

This is...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 08:59 pm:

Absolutely incredible!

Thank you for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 09:18 pm:

Richard that incredible. Nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 09:39 pm:

Awesome!

Rich... The guy on the left appears to be wearing MY favorite hat, though.

Take Care; Behave; Stay Warm (and)
"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 09:55 pm:

Part of the enjoyment is that these are familiar circumstances and items.
Duey, I'm happy for you to enjoy this anyway you can. Some have to control the use of their images that are their livelihood. These paintings and my cars are just for fun and sharing them seems worthwhile to me.
Thanks again.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 10:20 pm:

Rich, It's very very nice. I admire your talent and thank you for sharing these pictures with us here on the Forum.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 01:02 am:

Linda says, " I really like Rich's paintings--he paints like Norman Rockwell."
I agree!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 02:19 am:

"We oughta be able to fix ONE of these inner tubes?!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 04:16 am:

Well,.....I don't know David,....I never saw a Norman Rockwell painting that I had to look at really intently for the first few seconds to determine if it was a painting or a photograph! Two different styles but both absolutely "art gallery quality"! But frankly, if I could only pick one to hang in my home, well,.....sorry Norman,......(:^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 05:49 am:

They should get out of the road. There is another car coming, in two or three hours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 06:02 am:

Richard,

Thank you so much for giving us a window into the past! I love the painting!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hank Burmer on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 06:58 am:

Really original and beautiful painting. I love your attention to the detail - the shadows and colours make this look like it has happened before and is just a picture taken with an old camera... Brings back some memories of the old times...

Thank you kindly...
Hank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RE Helgeson on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 07:30 am:

Rich, Your talent is without question. I enjoy these posting and look forward to seeing your art. Have you thought about donating a painting to the Model T Museum? That way many of us could enjoy your work in person. Thanks for sharing, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 07:45 am:

Richard,

Beautiful painting! I really appreciate the way you have captured all of the intricate details. I'm curious, what make of car have you painted? Is it a Buick?

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 07:48 am:

Incredible, as always.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 07:55 am:

I adjusted the image so all you could see was Rich's painting. Then called my wife to look at it. She also said it was a colorized photo and was totally amazed when I scrolled and showed it was a Richard painting.

Richard, I have to ask; How long does it take you to complete a painting like this? Must be very labor intensive.

I just LOVE you work. Thank You for sharing it with us.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 08:05 am:

awesome

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 09:06 am:

I'm happy this is being enjoyed.
Marv, you must have a great hat.
As for Norman Rockwell, I wish I could do some of the things he could do. His characters and style were amazing and he captured some wonderful things with paint.
RE H. I did donate a painting to the Museum and they are going to frame it and display it in the Bruce McCalley Library. Seeing the originals is nice but I think the the reduction and computer screen are very complimentary to these images also.
Dan, I like to think of the car as a Buick but the photos I worked from didn't match Buicks I know of.
Terry & Sharon, about 90 hours went into this one. Some take 200 or more. The foliage took less time than the other details.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RE Helgeson on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 09:14 am:

Glad to hear you donated a painting to the museum. I am looking forward to the Homecoming and hopefully being able to see it and the Bruce McCalley Library. Thanks so much Rich for you generosity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 05:29 pm:

Rich, Self taught???????!!!!! Amazing! What great natural talent.

I'm jealous! :-)

I know what you mean about the painting taking over you. Same thing as an actor. You get in the "zone."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 05:49 pm:

Well I took some classes in high School and College but I what I do comes more from 35 years as a draftsman. I was allowed to play with the T-square and drafting tools as a child. My wife illustrates children's book for a local author and we both find we loose ourselves in creative efforts. I can do the same thing building car parts. When you loose track of what day it is or the time and awake as from a dream you know you are really concentrating. Of course I loose track of things when I'm just sitting around too but it is different. It is an escape but perhaps more constructive than some ways of escaping.
Well, I've got to go for now. Joy say's we are taking down the Christmas tree today. <:o)
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 06:09 pm:

Some of you may have though I was kidding about the Christmas Tree.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 06:13 pm:

Your not alone Richard!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 09:18 pm:

We do have our priorities.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration