OT - demonstrating Ford's first magneto, the Holley-Huff

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - demonstrating Ford's first magneto, the Holley-Huff
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, March 16, 2018 - 08:27 am:

What we did our first night at Chickasha. Good friend Bruce has now rebuilt two Holley Huff magnetos. The magneto patent application was submitted by Ed Huff with Henry Ford as assignee in mid-1905. This is the first CDI produced and first used on a production automobile (Model K). The mag was also optional equipment on the 1906 Thomas Flyer and 1907 Thomas 40.

It's a "hot" magneto:

Click on the link below to see the magneto firing:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0lktnu9gzci9yqr/Holley%20Mag%20Chickasha%202017.MOV?dl=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, March 16, 2018 - 01:17 pm:

WOW That's cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Walters on Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 10:46 pm:

Nice demo. Thanks,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins So Cal on Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 10:57 pm:

Amazing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kenneth w delong on Sunday, December 16, 2018 - 12:07 pm:

Rob,Is there any danger from a CDI that hot? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, December 16, 2018 - 12:23 pm:

Bud, an electrical engineer reviewed the technical description of this magneto and said it could theoretically stop ones heart if shocked at the wrong time. I know the spark is significant, and I'm able to start on magneto only when the car is warm.

The link below shows the magneto working after Dean Yoder initially reworked it. The distance the spark jumps is only limited by the coil arcing internally when the contacts are spread too far apart:

https://youtu.be/PWTIpuAjWbo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Sunday, December 16, 2018 - 01:15 pm:

Rob, wondered if you got my PM I sent a good bit ago about the fellow who was at the ford museum during the deaccession sales and may well have either helped or been in charge of them? I sent contact info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, December 16, 2018 - 02:19 pm:

William,
I didn't get it. Maybe it went to my junk mail? My email is robheyen1(at sign) gmail.com.
Thank you,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Sunday, December 16, 2018 - 03:39 pm:

Rob, I sent the information via email. Hope it is of some use. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, December 16, 2018 - 04:03 pm:

Thanks Bill. Got it, and sent an email back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, December 16, 2018 - 05:56 pm:

Electricity is funny stuff. My dad was an electrical and electronics engineer, so I grew up around a lot of such stuff.
Voltage is not the main danger in electricity. Current, upper limit available current is a greater concern.
Voltage in some cases is dangerous. Certain voltages have special effects on human physiology that can stop a heart, or freeze muscles so that one cannot let go of an electrical source. That is why people used to be taught how to knock another person off an electrical source using a board or other non conductive material. Grabbing a person held onto an electrical source can turn into two people muscle stuck onto the electrical source.
A little known danger (not a serious danger, but?) is that a (used to be) common six volt automobile battery, can actually kill a healthy adult. The circumstances have to be just wrong (or right?), but a six volt battery can kill. A common twelve volt automobile battery can only kill an adult with significant health issues. A common twelve volt automobile battery cannot likely kill a healthy adult.
The difference is in the amperage available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, December 16, 2018 - 06:07 pm:

And thank you Rob for showing us the Holley Huff magneto!
It is quite impressive, and historically significant.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration