What kind of accessory is this? Center main cap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: What kind of accessory is this? Center main cap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 05:35 pm:

I haven't did anything but take a picture, maybe when I take it apart it'll be obvious what exactly this does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 06:29 pm:

More than likely, it auto adjusts either the thrust or the radial bearing clearance.

But with that coil spring on there... I would say it's a band lint filter!! ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 06:49 pm:

Something new every day! At least, I've never seen anything like it.

So the spring, which is now mostly relaxed, let's assume was originally much more extended. That would put a torque on the bolt (upper in the picture) which would tend to tighten it.

So, my best guess is some kind of automatic gadget to take up the slack on a bearing cap, as the babbitt wore down.

Of course, I can think of at least three ways that gadget introduced a potential disaster into the engine, but we can assume the folks who made it had a slick way of advertising it, with no mention of the "un-intended consequences."

A cute idea, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 09:38 pm:

Crankshaft end play auto-take up. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred B on Monday, March 19, 2018 - 12:38 pm:

a device to keep tension on bolts to keep them from backing out.?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Monday, March 19, 2018 - 01:46 pm:

James has it. It has nothing to do with the main bearing bolts. It has an inner thrust bearing/bushing that is used to take up end play caused by an excessively worn rear main bearing cap thrust surface.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration