Whatís wrong with this picture?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Whatís wrong with this picture?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By don ellis on Sunday, April 01, 2018 - 07:22 pm:

I got this axle with some parts Saturday, check the date

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, April 01, 2018 - 07:45 pm:

Most of the dated axles I have looked at were '20 to '23, with a few into '24 and '25. I have long wondered how late they got dated that way, and whether it was only certain auxiliary suppliers.
Is there a makers mark somewhere on the axle? (They're usually outboard of the spring perch.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By don ellis on Sunday, April 01, 2018 - 07:49 pm:

Look close at the date

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, April 01, 2018 - 08:06 pm:

Production of engines continued well past the official end of whole car production, why not other major parts like front axles? Also, to my eye the 8 appears to be upside down. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By don ellis on Sunday, April 01, 2018 - 08:08 pm:

Thatís a three thatís upside down

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, April 01, 2018 - 08:44 pm:

He's right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, April 01, 2018 - 08:46 pm:

In the past there have been photos posted of the dates, same axle, different date on each side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, April 01, 2018 - 09:27 pm:

I believe Herbrand was the only company that dated axles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, April 01, 2018 - 10:05 pm:

AAXC is a Ford metallurgical composition variant.Ē

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, April 01, 2018 - 11:05 pm:

Rather than dated axles, it would make more sense if the date referred to the die used to stamp the axles. That would also explain axles with different dates on either side.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, April 02, 2018 - 12:09 am:

Engines were made until the spring of 1941. Why not axles?
Could be a 3 or even a mistake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, April 02, 2018 - 07:46 pm:

If you blow up the 26 the six looks more like an upside down 3.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, April 02, 2018 - 09:29 pm:

Cute. I still can't see that as an upside-down "3" in the first picture (it starts to show at about 250 percent zoom, but begins to blur a bit). But in the close-up it clearly looks to be.
Rats. It must be a common '23 (mold) axle, not an end or past end of production axle.
Still an interesting item. I know that I have seen a couple engine blocks with part of the date upside-down on them. It seemed to be a fairly common error, working with movable dies in poor light in the factories as they were.
In coin and stamp collecting, errors like that become quite valuable. Maybe we should do the same for cars?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, April 03, 2018 - 01:56 pm:

Oh Wayne, I know itís a little blurred, but it sure looks like a three to me. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, April 03, 2018 - 06:26 pm:

So how was the lettering and numbers applied to the axles. Was the raised numbering effect caused by stamping the numbers and letters into the axle mold and then stamping the axle? Just wondering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, April 03, 2018 - 08:44 pm:

John, for the numbers to be embossed on the axle, they must have been engraved in the stamping die. For this reason alone, I suggest the date is used as a record of the die used, rather than a date of manufacture. Otherwsise, they would have to be changing die each day.

On some of the tools, the Ford logo and numbers are embossed by stamping the background down.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, April 04, 2018 - 01:01 pm:

My guess is an upside 3, I have 4 or 5 dated axles, 2 are in 1912 and I believe a 25 and two 1926 axles.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration