OT - Weekly Ford Six update

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - Weekly Ford Six update
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, April 03, 2018 - 04:34 pm:

Peter and the guys are moving along.....

Two of the six jugs are on the crankcase in the frame:

Belly pan repair:

Water pump with grease cups added:

Transmission parts ready to assemble:

Balancing transmission drums:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Tuesday, April 03, 2018 - 04:42 pm:

Rob
What is the gentleman doing with the fixture on the wall? Balancing a trans drum??
Thank you
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, April 03, 2018 - 05:13 pm:

Jon,
Yes. Everything from the crankshaft and flywheel through the rear wheels are being balanced by spinning or weight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Tuesday, April 03, 2018 - 06:54 pm:

In the background of the balancing picture, I see part of a Snap-On wheel balancer. I have the same unit, from Dad's shop. It has never failed me. Many wheels that were balanced on newer electronic spin balancers, and still shook, were made serviceable with a good old-fashioned static balance job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Tuesday, April 03, 2018 - 08:28 pm:

Looking good Rob, looking forward to a ride!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Tuesday, April 03, 2018 - 09:51 pm:

Rob, you need a video of him balancing those drums on the wall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, April 03, 2018 - 10:07 pm:

I second that motion on a video! :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, April 03, 2018 - 10:11 pm:

Ed, Peter is definitely "old school" and I'm impressed with his thorough approach.

Kim, You can expect the "A" ride (sometimes when I give "K" rides I ask, do you want the "A" ride?). That means, the performance ride. Model K are somewhat like a T, but with an attitude. They go fast, and they get to fast quickly.

Jerome, good idea. I'm there next week, and if they are still balancing anything I'll record it.

Mid-May, here we come.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Tuesday, April 03, 2018 - 10:14 pm:

Guess that when he finds the heavy spot he grinds a little off the inside of the drum, then re spins identifying the next heavy spot. Theoretically, the drum should stop at different point each time he spins..Interesting gonna have to try it.
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, April 03, 2018 - 11:38 pm:

Jon,
I think "back in the day" when many of us were gearheads, we called it "blue printing." The reality is, my goal is to have a Ford Model K just as it left the factory. While that may not mean much today, Model K were Ford's high level model, and Frank Kulick was responsible to make sure every car left Detroit in tip top shape. The Ford Six ("K") was one of the premier performers in 1907, winning most contests Ford placed it in.

I've now owned two Model K, and rode in Tim Kelly's K, and know these machines are quite capable. It will be interesting to see what a "K" put back to specs, with the original carburation and magneto, is really capable of.

With the Fawcett group's help, we'll have a Ford Six meeting original specs. We shall see......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, April 04, 2018 - 12:15 am:

After all, when you drive a pre-T Ford, this is how you roll....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1o201gb263vi0bd/Video%20Jan%2022%2C%209%2054%2020%20PM .mov?dl=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan in Paso Robles on Wednesday, April 04, 2018 - 01:41 am:

Ah, Rob, give Kim the "E" ticket ride! The "A" ticket ride, if I remember correctly was just the trolley or bus on Main Street.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, April 04, 2018 - 07:04 am:

Rob, excellent video,almost puts you there thanks for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, April 04, 2018 - 08:17 am:

What a very enjoyable video and the music was a good fit too.
I can't wait to see the new Model K when it's done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, April 04, 2018 - 12:16 pm:

Nice video, Rob. I see it's a compilation of the L to B, OCF, and others. Very nice!

Thanks for making and posting it.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Wednesday, April 04, 2018 - 11:59 pm:

But, an overdrive has been retrofitted hence changing its performance at speed (highway).
I am envious of an awesome restoration!
Looking forward to seeing it at OCF.

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, April 05, 2018 - 09:45 pm:

A few more from today:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Thursday, April 05, 2018 - 09:49 pm:

Of course your are using Kevlar, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Saturday, April 07, 2018 - 03:59 pm:

On those open transmissions are the band linings still cotton or some other material? How well do they work dry, and how long do they last?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, April 07, 2018 - 07:32 pm:

Tim, I've used woven cotton with steel before from a local shop. The K is in low a very short time, so I've not worn bands after several thousand miles (between our earlier touring and now roadster).

Jeff, as mentioned above I use a cotton/brass/steel blend. The material is quite soaked in greas and oil from the open transmission and oil from the engine.

A few more pics from Friday. The jugs are all on:

Brake and shift lever on:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, April 07, 2018 - 11:35 pm:

Looking great, Rob.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 12:00 am:

Thanks Rob.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 03:05 am:

Wonderful! Soon, more and better, then, you get to start driving it again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 09:07 am:

That is looking very nice. Did they give you an estimated completion date? Are they on schedule, behind schedule or ahead of schedule? Anything major yet to do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 11:52 am:

Almost a shame to cover up all those purdy mechanicals with the body. Awesome, Rob. Thanks for sharing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Royster on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 07:58 pm:

This is a great thread, please keep it going!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration