A Thank You to Steve Jelf

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: A Thank You to Steve Jelf
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Thursday, April 05, 2018 - 08:19 pm:

As I embark on my third rear axle swap-out on a Model T, I would like to send a well deserved Thank You to Steve. Your videos on You Tube and your excellent photos here on the Forum prompted me to finally go ahead and fab up a spreader bar for my HF floor jack. I made it in about 45 minutes this evening and what a difference it makes in efficiently raising the car high off the floor. it works on both the front and rear axles and makes it a perfectly safe procedure, as opposed to the stacks of blocking on and under the jack in the past. We all greatly appreciate your time spent with a camera! Here's what I whipped up:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, April 05, 2018 - 08:47 pm:

Hello Dave,

I like the idea of the spreader bar. Can you post a link to Steve’s video on this one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Thursday, April 05, 2018 - 09:22 pm:

Well... I'm a purdy good welder and a damn good dancer! Posting a link to a video is really getting out there for me. Posting a picture is about the limits of my desk skills!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, April 05, 2018 - 09:33 pm:

Dave: Nice adaptation of your engine stand to accommodate rear axel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Bourgeois,Aldergrove BC,Can. on Thursday, April 05, 2018 - 09:34 pm:

Here is what I think you are looking for Dan
Paulb
https://youtu.be/8mZzAt9Q_4k

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Thursday, April 05, 2018 - 09:39 pm:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=110s&v=8mZzAt9Q_4k#

I think this link to Steve's video might just work ??
If not, just look up Model T axle replacement.

Thanks, Bob. I'm finally putting that Ruckstell back into the Touring. That engine stand is really quite a "do-all" for me. I use it for all kinds of projects.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Friday, April 06, 2018 - 08:14 am:

Thumbs up to Steve Jelf! His posts are a great education and have been a real help to me as I find my way through this maze. His web site is good, too!

Here is what I wound up with after looking at Mr. Thrifty's gadgets. The thing that took the most time was figuring out how to do this with the found/scrap materials I had on hand. Cost: zero.

Wife: "Where did you get that?"
Me: "I made it!"
Wife: "you made it?"
Me: "I have a WELDER. I can make ANYTHING."

PS. The lift has slots in it so that they will clear the truss rods on my other vehicles, therefore the reinforcements.

Cheers, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Friday, April 06, 2018 - 09:51 am:

after watching his videos on youtube, I did my rear axle too - thanks steve!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Friday, April 06, 2018 - 01:47 pm:

Yes indeed thanks Jeff, I cannot weld so here is my cheap wood version

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, April 06, 2018 - 02:06 pm:

I too have to say "THANK YOU Mr. Jelf" his handy shop tips and videos have helped me on several projects. I also enjoy his road trip videos and pictures he posts of auction finds and other trips.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, April 06, 2018 - 04:43 pm:

Thank you Steve for all your support to our hobby!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, April 07, 2018 - 05:18 am:

You do know that Harbor Freight sells that spreader attachment already for their floor jacks, right? And it's adjustable on the "X" and "Y". But it is more fun to make your own. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Saturday, April 07, 2018 - 06:53 am:

I have to get out more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, April 07, 2018 - 10:31 am:

Why go to so much trouble? I just put the rear end on top of the floor jack and pump!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, April 07, 2018 - 07:05 pm:

I like your "lifter" William - I also have a truss rod on our '14 - that would be handy !truss rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 09:55 am:

Steve, I may have to make a variation of this to use on my Buick. The rear axle on it has more attachments than Zsa Zsa Gabor had. (Look it up, you young guys.) If you are interested in this lifter, let me know. I should be done with the T by June, and will then know for sure. Cheers, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 09:57 am:

Apologies for going off topic. Remorsefully, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 11:02 am:

Thanks William - I would be interested !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 12:29 pm:

Yep, shamelessly copied from a Steve Jelf video ! The only shame was spending $13 for the steel tube. Mr. Jelf would have found it free somewhere.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration