I always wanted a tattered top.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: I always wanted a tattered top.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 02:45 pm:

The beauty nature bestows on Old Cars has intrigued me for many years. Seeing some beautiful, ragged old tops I thought I wanted or even needed one. Last night I got my wish.
This top was of new Colonial grain material about 18 or so years ago. It has been exposed to the sun and other elements nearly every day of it's life. I noticed a small hole last year but a hail storm transformed it last night.

I believe any of the new top materials should last 50 years or more on cars kept under shelter. My oldest top was a Carter's kit in 1985 and still looks brand new. My coupe top is 4 years old and survived the same storm without damage after sitting outdoors mostly. I suspect the UV rays do the most damage.
The top I salvaged for my '14 was a kit installed in the early 70's and was only rotten at the ends for an inch or so where is was tacked to the bows.
Just some food for thought on material longevity.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 03:19 pm:

Yeah, old Sol can work wonders with his U.V. rays. I don't think any man made material will stand up for great lengths of time.

Of course, you could tell folks that you have giant pigeons around your place........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 03:42 pm:

How big are those moths out there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 06:33 pm:

Wow! Sun roof !! (Beware of what you wish ?) Rich, it sho' is tattered! We didn't get hail down here in the swamps . . .

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration